Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Big screen format "RV"?

Author Topic: Big screen format "RV"?
Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 08:48 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
It´s been awhile, but I´ve been busy, now working part time as a projectionist (actually getting paid, more than a hobby). And now I have a question I hope you can help me answer.

Some of my work is in the biggest theater i Gothenburg, Palladium, which is a single screen seating 770, with a balcony, curtains, huge screen and two Philips DP-70 (beautiful machines, got to love them).
The building is from 1918, but it´s been rebuilt and refurbished several times. The masking machinery and controls are from, I think, the 50´s, and has, in order, settings for "NB", the swedish abrreviation for academy, "VF", which is 1:1,66, "FrVF", which is 1:1,85, "CS", obviously for scope, and then it has "RV".

Nobody knows what the RV is, and I think that if you press it it doesn´t do anything, having been disengaged. The theatre has 70 mm capability (and does show it, but extremly rarely and now years ago), and it also used to show Cinemiracle, with the film Windjammer. The problem is none of my colleagues knows, some have been working there since mid-70´s and have been trying to find the answer. What further complicates things is that the abbreviation is most likely in swedish, and as you can see we don´t call everything the same as the rest of the world, or at least the US, does.

So the question is: do you have a guess as to what the format RV can be, as it seems to be larger than scope, so that we may finally solve this riddle? Any help is welcome, and we´ll see what we can do. The next time I´m there I´ll try the button to see if it works and if it allows measuring of actual ratio.

//Gunnar

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-29-2004 09:07 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly original 35mm CinemaScope (2.55:1) or 70mm Ultra Panavision (2.76:1)? [Confused]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:14 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, your flat format is FrVF.....what does it stand for? Seems like the RV is in the middle of the two Fs. I don't know the language, but what does FrVF wirtten out say? My money goes on 70mm, 2:1 or something like that.

On a smartass note, it could be a real video (.rv) setting [Big Grin]

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:30 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VF is for vidfilm. meaning Wide film. FrVF is for Fransk vidfilm, French Wide Film, for some ancient reason.

It could be Real Video but I highly doubt it... [Smile]

Thanks for the suggestions, keep ´em coming. Like I alwas say, how hard can it be...

//Gunbar

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a guess but many maskings have a "stop" button to hit points between presets.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gunnar Johansson
VF is for vidfilm. meaning Wide film. FrVF is for Fransk vidfilm, French Wide Film, for some ancient reason.
quote:
"VF", which is 1:1,66, "FrVF", which is 1:1,85,
are you sure you don't have those ratios reversed? the 1:1.66 ratio is the one that is most common in france.

carl

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like a question for Thomas Hauerslev !

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl:
I can see how you would think that, and how it even would be logical, but I wrote it the way I learned it, and the wal all masking and lenses have been marked everywhere I´ve been... Weird.

Christian:
I´m hoping so too, but he personally knows my colleagues, and they have probably discussed it, but you never know. Sometimes you hvae to believe in miracles...

//Gunnar

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-01-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood remodeled. The masking settings on the front panel had an extra button setting marked Cinerama. When it was in use the masking opened much larger than the regular full 70MM settings. Same thing with the D-150 theatre masking settings. Since you said that your theatre ran Cinemiracle, which was a 3 panel Cinerama type of presentation using 3 projectors in one booth. Using mirrors, than 3 different booths like in real Cinerama. That could be the extra wide Cinemiracle / Ultra-Panavision 70 format.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-19-2008 03:31 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1175 days since the last post.

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 03:31 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking through old threads I came across this one.

My theatre closed this Sunday. No more Palladium in Gothenburg, and it´s a crying shame. I ran the last shows, and we had quite a nice turnout, but most were there because it was the last showings, and not because it was Sweeney Todd (-AO?).

Anyway, an old projectionist was there, and I finally learned what the RV button was. The panel was installed after the cinemiracle days, when they built it back to a 35/70 set-up, but they wanted to be prepared for whatever formats were coming after the early 60´s, so RV is for Reserve, in both English and Swedish...
It seems so easy now, but I wasn´t thinking along those lines at all.

No I´ll go from being the second projectionist at the towns best cinema, to working part time at a newly built multiplex. But I´ll use this to get serious about going back to school and finishing a second degree, going from a Master in Philosophy back to Master of Engineering Physics...

Thanks all for the input all those years ago. Sorry if I did the wrong thing bringing this back up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: