Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » what's the best perforated tape?

Author Topic: what's the best perforated tape?
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2004 06:03 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a fan of the rivas-style splicer and perforated tape, but what's the best brand of tape? we've got a fair amount of old stock that i've been going through. there's 3m, scotch, some unlabeled.

all of them, over time, tend to stick too much. if it's only been a few weeks, the tape usually comes off alright, but last week i broke down a print that had been going around town for a few months (on 6k's). i had to use ronsonol to get all the goop off.

when i splice leaders back on, i use unperforated neumade tape, since i know that will always peel off well. is there perforated tape with the same kind of glue?

i do have one roll, almost gone, of the "perfect" perforated splicing tape. peeling it off the roll is like peeling a post-it. i did a strength test and found an 8-perf splice to be stronger than a 4-perf splice with one of the other brands we have. the problem is, i got it off ebay and it came in one of those generic white boxes that says "305 clear splicing tape". i've found other markedly different types of splicing tape in those same boxes. who makes what i want? how do i specify it?

carl

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,
Several of our customers have experimanted with perforated tape over the last year or so as the tape they'd been using for years was discintinued. Since I can't remember the brand name call or e-mail our sales guy Vince and he can tell you what tape our customers prefer after trying just about every brand out there.... And it turns out there are only a couple of decent pre-perforated tapes available.
BTW: No obligation to buy anything and I'm not pushing our services....... but our customers have tried them all....

Mark @ CLACO

CLACO Equipment And Servce
1212 South State St.
Salt LAke City, Utah

801-355-1250

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-25-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the 3M stuff was pretty good. 35mm perforated splicing tape. But it's been over 20 years since I've seen any of it. I don't know what it's like today, if it's even still available, that is. But that was my vote.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3M has their 305 and 309 series of tapes (clear and white) and in 16mm and 35mm widths. The white tape is 2mils thick and is often used on full-coat and clear is 1.5 mils thick.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: