Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor Request for Projectionist Names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technicolor Request for Projectionist Names
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received a fax yesterday from Technicolor stating something that the studios want to recognize projectionist at theatres.

They request the following:
All Projectionist names
Email Address
Phone number

I'm like, I don't think so. The only email / phone number I would think about providing is the theatres. This to avoid spam and allow us to screen calls.

This fax was pretty vague. I will see if I can post it.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-24-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy stuff. I think I could conceivably be listed for seven different venues (of which three are commercial cinemas), even though I only do film work on an occasional basis.

If a theatre lists "Brad Miller," does that mean that they will be guaranteed to get only pristine prints? [Smile]

Seriously, what would be the point? I can see that they might want to do this for venues which regularly get rare or archival prints, but I don't see the need in the case of a typical multiplex.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Employers should not give out personal information about employees. If it's not a law it's certainly something that might subject them to potential liability. But it's a bit premature to speculate, not having seen the request. It may not be unreasonable to have a contact name of someone who actually works the booth so if there is an issue they can get beyond layers of management and talk to someone who actually knows something. But the name of everyone on a booth staff...hmmm...I don't know about that.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be something like the Disney - film done right thing? Is there someone you can call to find out why they want the information?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the projectionist names I would give out:

Will B. Goode

Buster Hymen

I. Slipp

Fuller Bull

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-25-2004 12:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just give out the Booth Manager's name, the theater's address and the movie hotline (recording) phone number.

If/when they can convince us that they aren't goin to develop some kind of blacklist or use it for marketing crapola then we'll give them more information.

I'm not totally against giving people information. After all, anybody can look our names and addresses up in the phone book. No? It's just odd to have people ask for lists of names and addreses right out of the blue... Especially in this day and age.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's an anti-piracy attempt in disguise. If a theatre is suspected of being a source of illicit vids, having the projectionist names would give "them" one more avenue to pursue.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2004 04:23 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Randy,

They want to speak to us (the projectionists), they can start with the Booth Manager, its his job...not ours.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor might start checking their own quality control first. First run of a brand new print of "National Treasure" found reel 6 with a scratch running down the right side of the picture, only reel 6.

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Technicolor today and they told me that they didn't know why they are asking-only that it was at the request of the actual studios. She said that she thinks the studios want to recognize projectionists for good print handling. While I won't say that all projectionists handle prints well, I know that studios do reward occasionally. Miramax sent us 2 sets of dvd's for free one time. Each set had Scary Movie, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Browne. They sent them as a reward for placement of their trailers. Of course I have no clue either what this is about, but it may actually not be such a bad thing. After all, 'tis the giving season!! [Big Grin]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got those same DVD's. Not going to do anything until we hear from corp about what they want. If they want to reward projectionist. Send the item to the theatre, attention to the name that is already on the cans and say "We caught you giving a perfect presentation on ... Please forward this gift to your staff that was on duty at that time". Now for me, which one of my two that are always on would I give this too.

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 01:38 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't work at my theatre. First, the guy who somehow ended up on the cans was nothing more than a floor assistant manager that got fired. Second, with our current management, anything that comes would be pilfered and not given to the projection staff that deserves it, whether that be myself, the projection manager, or the other projectionists.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 02:50 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it the DVDs were for checks on Kill Bill vol 1?

We got those and my manager gave them to the other managers for christmas presents if I recall. I'm the booth manager and all I got was a hat.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-27-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp
We got those and my manager gave them to the other managers for christmas presents if I recall. I'm the booth manager and all I got was a hat.

How NOT to build the morale of your projection crew. [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

Jason Gazaille
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 08:46 AM      Profile for Jason Gazaille   Email Jason Gazaille   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
Not really sure how they determined this. We got ours a long time after Kill Bill vol. 1 was gone. Miramax does strange things sometimes, but for whatever reason they sent those, I surely appreciated it. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: