Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panalogic failing to start show

Author Topic: Panalogic failing to start show
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
having an intermittent problem with automation in Cinema 3 , we set the show up as always , key in the show # start > next event the slides run fine , the projector starts on last slide soon as the first film cue is detected to switch sound from non sync to SR and slide off to picture on , the system fails , alarms go off everything stops with message reading xenon or exciter failure .
The xenon is already struck, red reader is glowing fine ???

I have tryed a few restarts with the same result. I then tryed to run the show from the panalogic panel , starting xenon , motor on sount to SR and picture on , then system still bombs out.

Leaving the only way to get the show on the screen is via the control panel on the Cinemaccanica and manually lifting the zipper and locking it open.

This only seems to happen about once a week , but is a pain in neck!

anyone encountered a similar event ?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insist that Ray Derrick come over and repair it [Wink] !

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-24-2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off. Do you indeed have sensors for the Xenon and exciter? If you don't make sure that those options are set to not interfere with your show.

I would go to the System Setup screen, press "MORE" then "VIEW LEVELS". This should let you see what the ADC (analog to digital converters are seeing from the xenon and exciter sensors). You should look at ADC 1 (Xenon Fault) and ADC 3 (Exciter Fault). Make a note of the levels with both the exciter and Xenon on and off. Then go to a screen that is not having issues and note the levels there.

Depending on the logic of your sensors (high for fault, or low for fault) you should be able to tell which ADC is sending the problem and trace it down to a faulty sensor or position or possibly wiring. Again, presumming you have either or both sensors, the "SPAN" control may need to be tweeked for the appropriate sensor to bring it into uniformity with the other theatres. Note 000 is minimum, and 255 is maximum.

If you don't have these sensors and the ADC meters don't read 000, you might try tying the input terminals to ground (right next to the input terminal). If the problem is that there is noise and the ADC never goes to 000 even tied to ground, invert the logic (Option B #6) and tie to "ref" so it is pulled up. Again, both xenon and exciter will need to be tied since the option switch affects both.

Good luck,

Steve

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice answer Steve. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Many customers use an LDR (light dependent resistor) or a photo diode to sense the light level output from the xenon lamp. This device is connected to an Analog to Digital converter input on the Panalogic automation, which in turn drives the xenon fault sensor system, as Steve has explained. There are separate inputs for xenon lamp and exciter/redLED sensors for up to two projectors (four inputs in all).

A xenon sensor device is usually mounted inside the lamp housing behind the mirror, where it is not in direct "line of sight" of the xenon arc in an effort to reduce the exposure to IR and UV, which will fry just about anything eventually.

So if your system has such a sensor, it may be losing output due to the amount of time it has been exposed to UV. You can adjust the sensitivity by following Steve's instructions. The sensor may also be in need of replacement. As Steve also mentions, if your system does not have any or all of the sensors, then any usnused inputs should be disbaled by setting the relevant AD Span controls fully counterclockwise to prevent the pick up of external interference. Either way if you follow Steve's instructions you should be able to solve the problem.

If not, give us a call on (+61) (02) 9894 6655 and one of our technical staff will be more than happy to assist you over the phone. We love to hear from users of our equipment even if it is to complain about a problem. If you don't tell us, we can't fix it.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 08:14 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the assistance Ray & Steve.

I will investigate this and see what turns up.

While on this topic , we have since had another fault occur in cinemas 1 & 2 , where following the slides the projectors starts ok , switching slide off and putting film on screen but the sound is not changing from exsternal(talkie slides player) to SR. Once again this only happens about once or twice a day.

Would be interested in any comments on this.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-26-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound processor please? (and as many details about the installation as you know).

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound processors are DTS 6AD 's As for the interface , I will have to explore this , have not looked into this problem seriously as yet.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the Panalogic start failures , the ADC reading I have taken from the 3 machines

All three read 000 when xenon off
Cin 1 ADC1 reads 150 when on
Cin 2 ADC 1 reads 199 when on
Cin 3 ADC1 reads 169 when on.

We have had issues with 3 not starting and today I have cin 1 not start , I am guessing the correct read should be 199 - 200 from the sensors and I should adjust the control on the sensor boards for cins 1 & 3 to also read 199 - 200

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-28-2004 07:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil...yes that wouldn't hurt, adjust the "span" control. Did you get ADC 3's reading? Was it 255 (max)?

Steve

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stve the readings I got from ADC3 in all 3 cinemas was 000 when machines off and 000 with machines on ?? maybe we dont have a sensor on the exciter . We are using Dolby red readers , Where would I look to find sensor ?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: