Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interlocking strong and monee (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Interlocking strong and monee
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 04:21 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!
We are having a 4screens Plex, where screen1 has Strong projector & Screen2,3 & 4 has Monee projectors.

I would like to use one print & show movie on Screen 1 & 2 (Strong has Synchronize motor & Monee has Inductance motor.)

I would like to take your suggestion before going ahead.

Thanks in advance.
regards,
Peter

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 08:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unlikely that projectors with inductance motors will run at exactly the same speed. Even a 1 percent speed difference is a significant difference in the length of film over a two hour feature. (Even more so with very long Indian "Bollywood" movies [Wink] )

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
108 feet in the case of a 2 hour 35mm feature (120 minutes = 10,800 feet at 24fps). That would need a very long loop absorber between the two machines to be able to start with that much slack if the second machine is running faster or to absorb the extra footage if the first machine is running faster. Selsyn motors are a must, I'd have thought.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 08:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replace the induction motor, and the rive pulleys and belts with a sync motor and correct timing belt and pulleys

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 09:44 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon,if you have any details specs for pulley, sync motor & belt to easy my experiments please let me know.
Thanks once again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contact monee or there local rep to get the correct pulleys for to match the gear train of your machines also ensure that the motor is the correct line frequency and voltage for you location

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 10:02 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do we need to install Ups to give a steady supply to the projector motor. At present we are not using any & every thing is fine?

Thanks once again.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That should not be necessary if the power is good enough to run what you have now. Motors are not bothered by the sort of voltage spikes and electrical "noise" that might cause problems with delicate electronics. Slight variations in frequency will cause slight variations in motor speed but this will affect all the motors in an interlock arrangement so everything will remain in step.

You need an accumulator between projectors to give out slack film or absorb it only as the machines come up to speed as they may differ slightly. Once the synchronous motors are at speed they lock to the power line frequency and from that point on the slack between projectors will not change.

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve one of my friends told me that some of his friend has done interlocking between three projector (Monee, Strong & Monee), they had a problem.
With Monee & Strong no prob, Monee & Monee no prob, but sometimes Monee, Strong & Monee the film moving between Monee to Strong dangles down towards floor & film moving from Strong to Monee moves upward & gets tight or vice-verse. Due to which they have to stop the show & leave about 3 to 6ft of film loop between the two projector & run the show. This happens twice or thrice a week when they did not have ups installed. But after installing ups worth 543$ they had no such problems.
Please advice. Thanks.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-24-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UPS may just have changed the voltage somewhat, which could affect the speed of the induction motor. Syncronous motors "lock" to the line frequency when up to speed.

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2004 07:41 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes John I completely agree with you. But these guys have installed the UPS for Strong Synchronize motor which confuses me & they say after installing the UPS everything works fine.
Anyways thanks to all, for your kind advice. I will go ahead to interlock between Monee & Strong without UPS & if I face any problem I will get back for your advice.
Thanks once again. Cheers.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-25-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the UPS output was slightly off line frequency? [Confused]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-25-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the type of DC-linked UPS is that is working at all times (rectifier->inverter) as opposed to just a backup supply that kicks in when mains power fails then there could be problems unless one UPS can run all motors. I'd stick with utility power for all so if there is variation they will vary together.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have several customers that run interlock without sync motors. These folks all have two loop accumulators and when things start to creep up they slow down the faster projector to put the trombone back in the middle with their hand in very heavy leather glove..... by slight friction on the flywheel. Dangerous.... a bit... but it works and is cheap. They claim they generally have to do this once in a 2 hour film and sometimes not at all. Using two loop accumulators gives one quite a bit of leeway between projectors.

A DC invertor generating AC will not guarantee you perffect speed as induction motors inherently have alot of slip.

Mark

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a theatre here that ran interlock on a couple of Prevosts without sync motors. They had a large six-foot loop accumulator with micro-switches positioned near the top and bottom that would throw a resistor in series with the projector motor. Didn't work very well though. One machine was always slightly faster than the other, and as a result, the accumulator would ride up and toggle the switch on and off throughout the show, causing sound instability issues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: