Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » National Treasure - Pre Show Ads Or No Pre Show Ads? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: National Treasure - Pre Show Ads Or No Pre Show Ads?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt Disney Pictures films are not supposed to have any pre-show ads, and everything else is. I'm talking about the commercials, not the "slides" here.

Ok, so what the heck is National Treasure?? I have one trailer that has a Touchstone logo in the beginnning, and says "Touchstone Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films Present..." at the end;

I have another trailer that says "Walt Disney Pictures" at the beginning;

The film itself has a "Walt Disney Pictures" logo at the end;

The poster (which they only sent us ONE) says "Touchstone Pictures" at the bottom;

The official web site for the movie says "Walt Disney Pictures."

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Was this a marketing screw up in the beginning with the Touchstone stuff, and it's really Walt Disney Pictures? Or is it both? Or what?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reguard anything from following studios as Buena Vista Pictures, and, therefore not eligible for Screenvision advertisments:

Caravan Pictures
Hollywood Pictures
Touchstone Pictures
Walt Disney Pictures

Our company was threatened some years ago by Walt Disney over a scheduling conflict and we were cut out of the loop from showing some Buena Vista products for a few months. I was told by a former manager that even though Walt Disney rejects Screenvision, No pre-show ads from that company are to play on Buena Vista pictures . . . period. Until early this year (2004), he also requested no ads on Miramax either.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, for us though, it's only Walt Disney Pictures, which is why I want to figure this out for sure. I mean, I suppose no matter what the outcome, any contractual violation could be blamed on the confusing marketing probably, but I'd just like to get it right.

Thanks!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if your company overrides BV with ads it deems as "policy" like coke for example?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not policy trailers, they're fine in front of anything. I'm talking about commercials.

Maybe I should change the name of this thread from "Pre Show Ads or No Pre Show Ads" to "What Movie Company Is It?" I didn't want to do that because that sounds like a ground level issue, but it's really not.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to our management, Buena Vista is the "sacred cow" and will not carry anything extra save perhaps a DTS or Dolby logo when showing in the appropriate houses. I don't quite exactly know what you mean by a "policy trailer like coke". In terms of strictly policy, we have a cell phone etiquette trailer that corporate asks us to play. Since we hardly have a cell phone problem among customers to begin with, I'm loose as to where these are programed and for how long.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression it was animated Disney movies that couldnt have the ads in front of them.. but everything else was ok.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. It's Walt Disney Pictures stuff (which just so happens to include all of the Disney animated stuff). So, Princess Diaries, and Pirates of the Caribbean are included in that rule. Since Pirates was Bruckheimer / WDP, I'm inclined to believe that National Treasure probably is too, but I want to be sure.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From How To Fill Out A Screenvision Affidavit by Mike Skelly at Screenvision (212) 497 - 0484) or mskelly@screenvision.com

quote:
2. Studio Blocks
This space is to fill in any screens, by week, that may not have our rolling stock advertising program run because of agreements between your circuit and a given studio for which advertising is not run before any of their films. Walt Disney Co. is the prominent cause of this "block". So when you look to see which screens were playing which movies for a given flight, if there were any screens missed out for this 'block" fill them in here, for each week of the flight.
NOTE: The Screenvision "block" supercedes the studio block if there is a conflict. If we requested the ad not run before "G" movies, do not fill in any studio blocked"G" films on the missout report. This is to prevent us from recording a missout that would never have run anyway.

This is the official policy from a Screenvision document circulated early this year at the latest. I do not have a link, but I have not visited Screenvision's web site to look for one. Contact the above named representative for further comment.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way it was explained to me is that any movie with the 'Magic Kingdom Castle' at the beginning is blocked, everything else is fair game.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruckheimer movies don't have an opening logo for the studio anymore. I haven't been able to catch whether this one does or not, but it has a castle at the end, does that count? [Wink]

Ok, I just received word... It is Walt Disney Pictures. However, they have a special contact allowing pre-show to run in front of this particular feature. Of course, I can only verify that this is the case for my particular chain, which is AMC. Your chain may have different circumstances.

Thanks to all who replied!

[Big Grin]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that it is a "Pure" Disney film. No other studio is participating. "Pure" disney as in having the fly over logo and only that. Usually corp will remind us that this shouldn't have ads.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I think you're right. Strange that the poster and one of the trailers has "Touchstone Pictures" on them. Also strange that they weren't recalled. Maybe there wasn't enough time.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You all are making this way too complicated. My usual rule of thumb for film ads was that anything that might possibly be remotely connected to the Mouse House (tm) (r) (c) didn't get ads. I never heard of any customer complaints from people who wanted more ads.

Thankfully, it's been almost two years since I've had to deal with this [bs]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
I don't quite exactly know what you mean by a "policy trailer like coke".
I mean ads deemed as "policy" when in fact they are just ads. For example, say a company has an agreement with coke. The company decides any coke ads are "policy" for that company and thus override BV by putting coke ads on their movies. I'm just wondering if the company is allowed to do that or perhaps it violates an arrangement with BV.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: