Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why all the "Movietunes" hate?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Why all the "Movietunes" hate??
Nathan Wade
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Nathan Wade   Email Nathan Wade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just recently went back to work at the theater for a couple of months (extra christmas money) and learned that they were playing Movietunes. I got ready to hear teen-pop [bs] . That's not what I heard. I heard The Greatful Dead's "A Touch Of Grey", two Mannhiem Steamroller christmas tracks, Circus De Sol, a track from Polar Express, Regis Filbern(sp) singing the standard "It Had To Be You" and others. I've found older shows and listened to them and heard two Seal tracks, Simply Red, Peter Paul & Mary, Wyonna Judd, The Eagles, Chicago, Gregory Jones, and other good tracks. Are ya'll getting different formats? [Shrug]

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out of the theatre business for only a little over a month now, but I can guarantee you that the current playlist is an exception rather than the rule.
The other tracks you listed may or may not have been on the same playlist either but whether they are good or not is subject to personal opinion.
I personally don't care for any of thm except the Simply Red song.

Most of the time it's total crap with maybe one or two decent songs thrown in at best.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-18-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, this again. I could go on and on about this, as I'm sure everyone else can. But I'll keep it to one paragraph for now, and I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks. [Wink]

Well, for me it mainly has to do with the fact that the entire movie going experience is being over commercialized to the point that customers are being turned off by it all. People don't go to the movies to listen to the pre-show music, watch commercials, or listen to Geico ads. They come to the theater to watch a film. Period. And what the suits in this industry don't understand is that everything else in the theater should SUPPORT that experience. Movietunes distracts from it because the point of Movietunes is to promote music. "Why don't you run right out and buy all of his albums right after the movie? They're on sale everywhere." Distracting! I don't want to listen to Chris Eric Stevens talk... I want to listen to my date talk. She has a much nicer voice.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2004 03:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we first started getting MovieTunes, the playlist was heavily skewed toward r&b-flavored pop -- basically, soul ballads, slow jam type of things. So they have improved the variety.

What sucks now is, the whole program is a series of train wrecks. Dissimilar musics crashing into one another, with bland Chris Stevens droning on between the songs. And occasionally they throw in a "medley" of songs, which is always horribly produced.

The whole idea of ASCAP and BMI requireing huge license fees for theatres, where the music really isn't a "performance" because the people aren't really "listening to" the music anyway, is stupid. If not for that crap, we wouldn't even have MovieTunes to kick around.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater chain ditched the MovieTunes [thumbsup] . but then picked up the NCN preshow countdown rolling stock [Mad] like there aren't enough trailers on the print already.

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 03:29 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
things that movie tunes played that i hated

Tatu
Polyphonic spree (any of the 2)
madonna
(insert pop icon) new single and only one for their career
big n rich
ANY R&B because it sounds terrible when your waiting for a movie
there were like 3 in a row that had jay Z and that one high pitch guy

I liked eagles, i liked trapt. that was it

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movietunes, I believe, is free to the theatres that play it. How do the people at Movietunes make their money then you might ask? Payola. Everything you hear on Movietunes is pay to play. Hence the lack of any coherent theme and also the abundance of crap (good songs get played enough that they don't need to use 'pay to play').

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-19-2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sin't a forum for patron complaints. Screw what they think of movietunes, they'll rarely hear much of the whole program and hardly ever get repeats.
There are crappy pop songs that torture me. There are very few tunes I want to hear repeatedly. Movietunes almost always has at least one of the former, and I get to be subjected to it over and over and over...
At least with self-programmed music I can "accidentally" scratch out all the madonna discs so they won't be playing again.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Breaking Benjamin on our disc [evil]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We have Breaking Benjamin on our disc"

WHY? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-19-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I _love_ Movie Tunes!

[puke]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 01:47 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James R. Hammonds, Jr was the last to post
WHY?
Im guessing because they had someone new in programming and he accidently put a song from the "not crappy" library in there.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Rourke
NCN preshow countdown rolling stock
You know, I've found that thing never really "counts down" anything. If it was a TRUE pre-show countdown they'd have that clown or dancing hot dog letting us know, "Five Minutes to Showtime!!" [Smile]

Or at least put SOMETHING between those two Hershey's Caramel commercials. Last few times I went to a theater, they played them BACK-TO-BACK, yes, the same commercial! [Mad]

=TMP=

Jeffrey Korns
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Jeffrey Korns   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Korns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a theatre organ! [Big Grin]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I wanted to listen to a radio I would be listening to a radio, not sitting in the theatre WANTING TO SEE A MOVIE! Would anyone tollerate this blatant in-your-face (ears)if you were sitting in a resturaunt? Or would you get up and walk out the minute you heard Chris Eric Stevens begin to babble or as soon as the first note of any Madonna song (that goes doubley for Oooh Town, or ANYONE from American Idol).

Mark put it best -- all that crap is innane, crass and a freakin insult, to say nothing of a distracting mood killer. I say insulting because if the theatre wants to use me as a marketing subject and it is making money off my ass in the seat, then it better damn well give me a free popcorn or a discount on the ticket price for asking me to endure that 15min of pure drivel.

So what was that Nathan? You detect a tad bit of MovieTune hatred? Damn straight you do. Now you know why. It's trailer park trash (no offense to any good people on the forum who live in a trailer park -- I'll bet down to a person, they wouldn't listen to Chris Eric Stevens prattle, even if they got PAID to. MovieTunes is about as classy as a toilet seat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: