Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bypassing fuses? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bypassing fuses?
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 03:19 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last friday when I was turning on projectors in the morning I noticed that the power led on the projector panel didn't light up on one of them. If the power LED is blinking thats always the sign that we need to change out or simply wipe off and re-position the fuse. The projector was on, since i could hear the vent from inside the lamphouse, but still no power LED. A quick check of the automation, and the start button does nothing. No failsafe alarm for trying to start w/out any film threaded as would be normal, just nothing. So I remove the fuse and notice the problem, the fuse cap was broken so that the fuse was sinking in too far and not making contact. It turns out a spring magically disappeared. We looked and looked but could not find the original spring or any sort of suitable replacement. Using another fuse cap worked just fine and the projector started normally so we decided to sacrifice the fuse cap from our lobby projector which does not actually show film until evening time when the lobby has darkened enough. I called our engineering department to see if they could bring a replacement and I was told it would be a couple weeks, but he knew a workaround so it was ok. I was pretty sure he was talking about manually starting the lobby projector for a couple weeks so I didn't think much of it until I talked to him later. He had me open up the projector panel, disconnect the fuse holder, and connect the wires going in to the fuse holder to each other. This worked just fine and the automation works as normal. The only difference is that sometimes you have to flip the power switch on the projector panel on and off to get the power to turn on. What I'm wondering is what drawbacks there are to bypassing fuses, since there must be SOME purpose to having them there in the first place, or we'd just skip them all together. So if anyone could shine some light on this I'd apreciate it.

In case it's needed, we're using cinemeccanica V5s.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 05:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd assume everything would run fine, unless something created a power spike or surge - then without a fuse to blow some other part of your equipment (a part far more expensive than the fuse was) would probably blow instead.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well

As mentioned if you get an excessively high current draw through that line (thats what fuses are for), than you can kiss all your projector electronics good bye.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not exactly sure which fuse you're bypassing, but its dangerous to bypass a fuse. You can cause an electrical fire resulting in huge losses.

If your engineers can't get out there for a few weeks you should find an industrial electrician locally who can trace the problem and correct it immediately. Since you're just having to re-seat a fuse on a regular basis the fuse holder is likely worn or damaged and it should be a simple fix. There's nothing "special" about the fuseholders on a V5 console.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 07:23 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I've had Cinemec fuse holders fall apart, but bypassing should be a last resort. Sure, if you are sure that the fuseholder is the only problem then bypass as your own peril to get the show on, but any fuse is designed to be a "weakest link" and protects the wiring and circuitry. Removal could create a fire risk - I'd replace the fuse ASAP - I agree that some gear is overprotected but you are playing with fire (maybe literally, and maybe not immediately) if you short these long term

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert on the subject but couldn't you just replace the fuseholder with an inline fuse or something in the interrim until the replacement shows up?
I'm sure you could get something close enough at radioshack or from grainger if neccesary. no?

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably run to a local autoparts store (Autozone, Kragen/Checkers, Napa, etc.) in their electrical section they will have a "fusible link" for both Maxi and barrell fuses. Costs about $2-$3 and all you would need is to solder it in place or use crimp/posi splicers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-18-2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree that, under "normal" conditions, bypassing a fuse wouldn't pose a great threat PROVIDING it's only a temporary measure to keep the show on the screen until a permanent repair can be done.

However, we all know that, in this business, "temporary" often means "permanently temporary". I, myself, have fallen into that trap where you make a "quickie" repair and say to yourself, "I'll fix it up the right way tomorrow..." The problem is that, "tomorrow" comes and goes many times and the quick fix still hasn't been made right.

Then, one day, the machine goes up in smoke and you discover the "temporary" fix that caused the whole mess. The first thing that comes out of your mouth will probably be, "What kind of IDIDOT did this!?"

Only, this time, the IDIOT was YOU! [Mad]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Shack has fuseholders for just about any fuse type. They're certainly not the 'best' quality, but at least they'll work properly and safely, especially if you don't have to change the fuse very often.

Go to radioshack.com and type 'fuse holder' in the search box to see what they have available.

I sure would NOT use a fusible-link intended for a car!!! [Eek!]

Ron Yost

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much stuck in this situation with whatever the engineering dept. tells me to do. Basically everything they said was logged multiple times so the responsibility doesn't fall on my shoulders. The best I can do, and will do, is to pass the information I've received on to senior management at my own theatre and see what else can be done.

I don't like the whole situation, but I didn't have much choice in the matter.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-22-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless one is qualified to make that decesion to bypass the fuse one shouldn't do it
If one does even on instructions of upper management the person who did it can still be held liable if an accident occurs causing a fire or injury so proceed with caution

as a side note automotive fuses are usually not rate for the voltages that may be encountered and as such may actually establish an arc internally and continue to conduct

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Unless one is qualified to make that decesion to bypass the fuse one shouldn't do it
If one does even on instructions of upper management the person who did it can still be held liable if an accident occurs causing a fire or injury so proceed with caution

When it comes to stuff like this I'm qualified to make 1 of 2 decisions.

1) Do what I'm told

or

2) Pretend I don't know what the hell they are talking about and hand the phone to someone else.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-23-2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that your last name means "animal sewage, manure" in German?

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2004 04:57 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a watt is a watt

And I never said it was the best choice...I said it was better than having no inline fuse at all.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An emergency fuse can be made out of a stand of wire. Find a piece of #22 stranded wire, strip off the insulation, pull out 1 strand of wire and wrap the single strand across the post the fuse clips into or across the fuse holder terminals. A single strand of #22 stranded wire will hold 1 to 2 amps. I've used this method on a 25KW FM transmitter to get back on the air. But get another fuse A.S.A.P.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: