Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SR Cat 280 to 280T mods

Author Topic: SR Cat 280 to 280T mods
Brad Morris
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Brad Morris   Email Brad Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have the sheet that describes the jumber mod. needed to convert the Dolby cat. 280 to a 280T (SR playback only)?

Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-15-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

It is an easy mod, you need to cut the tiny jumper marked "J801". If you look down at the top of the connector end of the card, holding the connector to your left, it is on the bottom board in line with the first of the second group of contacts ("A") (under the word "Switch" on the top cover).

IIRC, the Dolby website has the modification sheet archived.

Since you're local in LA, email me if you need more info/help!

Edit: Thanks, jhawk!! [beer]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-15-2004 12:42 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

This is covered in a bunch of threads, including:

Converting a Cat 280 SR to a Cat 280T SR

Dolby CP50 up grade to SR and Non sync switching proble

It's really easy.

Also, I strongly recommend following Steve Kraus's suggestion of prominently stickering the card with "modified for playback only."

--jhawk

Brad Morris
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Brad Morris   Email Brad Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for help with the mods.

Now my CP200 puts out pink noise instead of Dolby tone. Is this standard with SR cards?

Cheers-

Brad

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-22-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak to the CP200, but the SR cards use "Dolby Noise" instead of "Dolby Tone" for calibration. This is mostly irrelevant for optical sound, since you always calibrate with Dolby Tone...

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2004 06:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby Tone or Dolby noise is generated by the noise reduction card so when you have an SR card installed, it outputs what it knows. The CP200 has always used the NR card to generate its tone (format 66) so when you replaced the NR card, you took its tone generator...generally only important when setting up Cat 64s made prior to the Cat 64B

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: