Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The "Physics" of Motion Picture Projection. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The "Physics" of Motion Picture Projection.
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my current college courses is Physics 112 (Basic Physics II). I would highly recommend this class to those of you who want to get a little better understanding of what makes projection equipment work. This is a generall education class offered at just about any community college or university.

Topics include basic electricity, magnetism, light, reflection (mirrors), lenses, etc.

However, this class does not delve deep into practical topics such as VOM/Multi-Meter usage, electrical component idetification, soldering, etc. A basic electronics course will cover these topics.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-11-2004 01:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be right over. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-11-2004 06:57 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well isn't that just cute. You can go to panty raids together.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 03:14 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Manny needs to reread my origonal post. Physics 111 and 112 are the two basic "general ed" physics courses offered at all jr. colleges and universities. Just like freshman English, College Algebra, Trig. Calc., etc.

You can also find references and general help tutorials to these classes on the internet. One good source is WWW.PHYSICSCLASSROOM.COM (but I think this mostly deals with Physics 111).

And to further clarify myself, Physics 112 will help you understand how and why components like resistors and capicators work, the principles of Voltage, Amperage, Resistance and Wattage. How to calculate values in series, parallel and compound circuits. The principles of electromagnetism. What light is, different spectrums, how light bends, why and how mirrors and lenses work, etc.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a M.S. in astrophysics from Yale. (No kidding) It has not helped me one little bit in keeping the fershluggener projectors working. Which is not to say physics isn't cool. Just that the theory isn't always relevant to the practice.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 07:38 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Alt
I have a M.S. in astrophysics from Yale. (No kidding) It has not helped me one little bit in keeping the fershluggener projectors working.
I bet it has. Not in terms of what you know about the origins of the universe or relativity or black holes, but in terms of the discipline of logical thinking, analysis of problems etc.

quote: Daniel Alt
Just that the theory isn't always relevant to the practice.
Ah! The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference, whereas in practice there is a difference.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 12:18 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can think of the business as a black hole that has sucked in many fine people who might otherwise have led productive lives, me included! [evil]

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a constant tit-for-tat with an old friend about film vs digital projection. His last email quoted some info on how everything including the universe is digital, a matter of matter if you will. So I reply that then, motion picture film is digital and actually more stable than DLP. No reply from him yet.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each silver halide grain in a film is either exposed or unexposed (1 or 0 state). So at the molecular level, film IS digital, and has been for over a century! [Cool] Film's great latitude comes from having millions of grains, with a wide variety of sizes (sensitivities), producing a tone scale well beyond that of typical digital systems [thumbsup] . The random distribution of grains also avoids aliasing artifacts [Smile] , unlike the fixed pattern of pixels in digital imaging systems. [dlp]

So, Kodak has been a leader in Digital Cinema right from the start! [Big Grin]

http://www.kodak.com/go/dcinema

quote:
ORLANDO, FLORIDA, (October 22, 2004) - Eastman Kodak Company announced today at the annual ShowEast Conference that the company is taking a major step forward in its goal of making high-quality digital cinema available for motion picture exhibitors around the world. The company is demonstrating the Kodak Digital Cinema Solution for Feature Presentations, a bundled package of hardware, software, and support services.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Each silver halide grain in a film is either exposed or unexposed (1 or 0 state).
But John,
Doesn't the intensity of the light at any certain grain actually determine how dense that actual grain is.....? So in effect you may actually have a range of 0.0 to 1.0 per grain which is how digital really should be but can't.

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. Once the grain is hit by photons, it will develop. The way you get a range of tones is to have a variety of grain sizes that vary in sensitivity to light, either blended or in separate emulsion layers. If all the grains are exactly the same size and sensitivity, you get a very high contrast, low latitude film. A "lith" film is the most extreme example --- all or nothing, black or white, 1 or 0.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you can explain why development must be limited and cannot just run to completion. If you do then all grains are developed whether exposed or not. So how does time (and temperature and concentration of developer) affect the process and the resulting gamma?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
Perhaps you can explain why development must be limited and cannot just run to completion.
Its not something that is really a limited time thing. All film should be fully developed to completion to yield proper contrast range and gamma curves if exposed normally based in its ASA rating. Sure, you can leave film in for shorter or longer time periods but if left in the soup for a shorter period you will get a thinner negative(or darker for positive process).... left in longer it will over develope and get either darker(or lighter for positive process). Film which is pushed in speed is effectively under-exposed and then over-deveolped to yield a "normal contrast image". There is a point at which all halides are fully developed and this is normally the specified time at a given temperature for the developer/film combination you are using....

But John can probably explain this better......

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant by completion is that if you leave it in indefinitely you'll get back a solid black negative. If only light-activated grains were converted to silver that wouldn't happen.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-13-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what developed silver grains look like:

-

Notice the developed silver grains vary in size, but are generally all black (not shades of gray).

It may take more than one photon to produce a latent image, but once the silver halide grain has a latent image, it will develop into silver. If you overdevelop the film, even some grains without a latent image will develop into silver, usually the larger (faster) grains first. This caused "fog", or an increase in the minimum density of the image. Eventually, all the silver halide will be turned to silver by the developer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: