Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scope Aperture Plate question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Scope Aperture Plate question
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 06:16 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two different types of scope aperture plates. The bigger one is .715 x .715 and the smaller is .650 x .650 and marked "SuperScope."
Can someone tell me which (if either) of these is considered "standard" today for modern scope prints? Or, alternately, what the contemporary standard is if both of these are obsolete?
thanks in advance,
Ed

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
650x650 is an undersized plate that is the basis for one that will be filled out

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your aperture plates are square? (!)

As of August 1993, Scope is .690"x.825".

--jhawk

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 650 x 650 is what I got indirectly from Wolk when I ordered a "scope" plate. I didn't think it was right from the start but I seem to get nowhere fast trying to communicate with Wolk about anything.

Can anybody recommend a reliable company who can file it to the right size without ripping me off?

Ed

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only proper way any plate is done is that it is filed to fit by a competent engineer
many people start with an undersized plate such as 650x650 to open up to a scope image
I usually start with a pinhole

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably best off just buying the correct aperture plate. You have a Simplex, right? The .650"x.650" plate is G-2515. What you probably want is the .650"x.780" plate (G-2414), which is about .040" under on each side, so it can be cut to your screen. I don't know if you can order a spot-on 690x825 plate pre-cut for Simplexes.

You're probably better off going through a Wolk reseller. Support your local dealer. Also, www.rsem.com has a very comprehensive web site listing pretty much everything (note that Simplex apertures are available manufactured from Wolk as well as Simplex), and is a reasonable choice.

You could also use your .650 square for practice. Get yourself a flat file (and maybe a stone) and a caliper and carefully go to town. If you don't have a caliper, definitely pick one up, they're incredibly useful. Harbor Freight sells bottom-of-the-barrel CEN-TECH digital calipers for $16. They're actually remarkably good, and a steal at that price.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2004 10:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok JHawk I'll bite, how many aperture plates have you cut using a caliper? I just have to know.

Strong's "undercut" plates are not undercut at all. The last dozen I ordered were cut right to the zero line on PA35. Morons! (I ended up having to return them for pinhole plates since they aren't smart enough to actually make undersized plates.) Kinoton did theirs right. Not only are their undercut plates able to work in literally any situation (even 2:1 auditoriums), they have markings to show where the zero line is, which is very helpful if you are using a nibbler.

Also, getting regular files (for example from Sears) is a terribly stupid idea. Files that have smooth sides so as to not cut into an adjacent "wall" are mandatory. Having a few different sizes and grades also makes things easier.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many? Only a handful, I guess. I think 5 pairs. You can't treat the caliper as gospel, because of shadowing and keystoning and soforth, but it can save you substantial trial and error and give you a good idea of where you want to cut to.

Agreed in re "safe files" for cornering.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2004 11:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you're the first person I've ever heard of that uses a caliper to assist with cutting aperture plates. Any techs out there use one? Personally, I don't see the need.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-11-2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used a caliper during the filing process, but I have measured previously filed plates with one (a cheap plastic Sears one). For the actual filing I just go by what I see on screen, using a nibbler for the big first cuts. The file I use has milled sides and also comes from Sears (I think they sell it as an ignition point file).

Not that I get to file many plates these days. [Frown]

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have great academic arguments but the simple question remains as to where I can easily order an accurate scope plate for my Simplex without a lot of unnecessary BS.
That's really all I want. Is that too much?
thanks in advance,
Ed

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-11-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your screen has already been masked then you will most likely have to get an undersized plate and have it filed out. I have personally never used any aperture plate "right out of the box." They all needed some amount of filing. It's not really BS; that's just how it is.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-11-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys who can cut from one of those pinhole plates...you RULE. I HATE cutting plates when they are just undersized; I can't imagine how much of a pain cutting all that area would be from a pinhole plate.

Thing is, if you are cutting plates to correct anything like keystoning or doing a perspective curve, what you've got is an uneven cut. I don't see how calipers could help you. The only time using an instrument to measure the plate numbers would be if the projector was sitting directly in the center of the screen with no tilt or yawh (OK, I don't know what yawh is...it just sounds good).

I've got a standard file set with very fine teeth, or whatever you call the surface, and I used a grind wheel to file off the teeth on the side edge of the file. Most consumer hardware store files have side teeth that will nick the adjacent plate wall. Thing is, the files in this set happen to have a rounded shaft on the end which is used to attach a plastic handle. With the handle removed, the shaft fits perfectly into the blade jaws of a reciprocal saw. Next plate that I have to cut, I will try attaching the file to the saw. The saw will cause a rapid back and forth motion to the file, just what's needed. It should prove to be very useful in allowing a much more even control of the cut and certainly easier on the guy doing the cutting. We shall see.

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 02:08 AM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ed.
The "Superscope" plate you refer to was brought out when Cinemascope made it's debut as a potntial competitor, and the reasoning behind the square aperture shape was to keep the optical centre line central from lamp to lens as well as utilising as much of the light cone at the aperture as possible.
Hope this helps.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 02:27 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SMPTE projection aperture assumes that the projector will be exactly perpendicular to the center of the screen. If it is slightly above or below, and/or to one side, you will get keystone. The keystone must be corrected by filing an undersized aperture plate for exactly that throw & screen.

We don't know your application. If this is a home or mobile setup & you don't intend to get rid of the keystone, then you can just put a vertically symmetrical plate in like Jayhawk is talking about.

Gordon is assuming you are going to correct the keystone, as in a regular theatre. You must get a plate with the opening too small, & file it out to the needs of the screen & angle.

Projectors are almost never dead on to the center of the screen, with no angle. They're usually above the center or the whole screen, & pointed down. This distorts the projected image. *Any* amount of angle distorts it.

When you get to extremities like this:

-

something which appears on the film like this:

-

will appear on the screen like this:

-

(Which, by the way, is the way ALL titles looked to kids sitting on the front row in a big house, due to foreshortening. It took me a long time to understand these people who were losing bladder control over the Star Wars Titles: they'd never sat in the front row in a big house. Lucas obviously had.)

So to get this all square again onscreen, an aperture plate is filed to the reverse of the keystone on that projector:

-

This blocks the image on the sides to form a rectangle again

-

Those illustrations aren't to any particular scale; they're just to show how it works. In actuality, more goes on: screen curve, horizontal keystone from being to the left or right, bear in mind that the aperture plate for scope is *before* the anamorphic adapter which spreads the picture horizontally, etc.

You run a loop of RP-40 (MAKE me say PA-35!) on the projector. Then you put in a plate with an undersized hole, look at the picture, pull the plate, file it out where it's needed, stick it back in, repeat. Don't file too far!

There's a picture of an aperture plate at
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/lbx.htm

Brad's gripe about Strong not understanding & offering plates already cut to the zero line vertically is due to the fact that lens sizes are not continuous - you get the closest lens size that projects a picture to the vertical size of the screen, but since it may not be right on it, the picture must not be slightly smaller, but larger than the masking, & a bit is cropped vertically via the aperture plate.

I'm glad Frank has owned to disliking cutting aperture plates. Me, too. Some folks can just spit them out.

An aperture plate file, which has teeth only on one side has been mentioned. Hobby shops also sell sets of miniature files which include some with teeth on only one side.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: