Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Used Equipment Price! HELP!

Author Topic: Used Equipment Price! HELP!
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to buy a Drive In Theatre that I have been running the last 2 years. Would a few of you please give me some prices on this list for me. I have looked high a low to find this on my own, but I still need some opinons. Your help is crucil!!

Thanks a bunch

Steve Wilson

Century C (Noisy)
Motiograph Stand
Motiogaph SH 7500 Soundhead
Isco Flat Lens (clean)
Isoc with Seris 1 Scope attachment (clean)
Ramsey FM-100_2 Transmitter (Like New)
25 year old Potts Platter
25 year old Potts make up table
Old Wizbang 16 oz popper
Super Lumex box (ugly but works)
Neumade Splicer

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Offer them $2500 for everything including all booth contents you might not have listed. I have no idea if this is high or low but old stuff doesn't bring very much; then again you'd spend as much or more to round up replacements--unless you bought out a booth from somewhere else.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to decide if you want to do a top notch presentation or not and only you know how the profits were those two years. Were I buying a theatre as you are I would be more inclined to pass on that equipment alal together and b orrow a bit more on the mortgage and equip the place with some decent gear. Then again if the profits were slim or you're not in this for the long haul then Steve's amount seems reasonable if a tad bit high. Some of the stuff on the list is not servicable if there is a break down so you need to make your offer with that in mind.

Mark @ CLACO

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I am a regular ebay watcher. If nothing else it is a good way to gauge the value of used equipment. If you were to buy this stuff from a distributor, expect to pay about what Steve Kraus said. However we in the real world know that those guys are cranking their prices. I always call around and e-mail distributors before I buy a used piece of used equipment to see what they are getting for it. In my experience these guys are charging through the nose.

I work for a company that manufacturers industrial equipment and being involved with the sales and warehousing end of it I fully understand their ways. Sometimes we will give someone a discount and take in old equipment to sell them a new machine. Then we turn around and sell the used equipment for way more than the discount we gave (which they probably would have gotten without any equipment to trade-in anyways). The customer thinks he is getting a deal and we have more equipment to sell that is pure profit (with the exception of maybe a few hours labor for clean-up and alignment). Most of these distributors buy that stuff when a theater goes under for next to nothing and turn around and sell it to make a profit which is understandable. They get that for it because it is a small industry and they can.

Example. I recently was in the market for a used Christie AW3-R platter. I called around and e-mailed and the average price from a distributor was $1,500. I found a collector who was selling some stuff and got 2 complete platters, one partial platter, three muts and a Kelmar rewind bench for $1,800.

So it all depends on what you consider a fair value. Personally I wouldn't give more than $1,500 for that old stuff and that is stretching it. You would be lucky to get that much for it on ebay. For $2,500 and some shrewd shopping you could get a much better deal than that. You may have to put in some time and effort and network a bit but it can be done.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-11-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak regarding the popper, but the Century and Super Lumex are really the only things remotely worth anything. Like Mark said, performance, maintenance, and reliability concerns outweigh any intrinsic value the equipment might have. Certainly, with work, the Century can be taken care of, and the same goes for the Super Lumex, but the rest isn't really worth bothering with.

If it were me, I wouldn't offer any more than $1,800 for it, lock, stock and barrel... assuming a rectifier comes with the lamphouse.

Century C (Noisy) $350 - $500
Motiograph Stand $10
Motiogaph SH 7500 Soundhead $50
Isco Flat Lens (clean) $75
Isoc with Seris 1 Scope attachment (clean) $100
Ramsey FM-100_2 Transmitter (Like New) $50
25 year old Potts Platter $20
25 year old Potts make up table $10
Old Wizbang 16 oz popper $???
Super Lumex box (ugly but works) $450 +$400 for rectifier
Neumade Splicer $100

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably a Gold Medal Gay 90's WhizBang popper. I'd say it's probably worth $500.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better find out why that projector is noisy. That's gotta work. If the platter dies and is unfixable he runs off hour reels with intermission and increased per caps while taking his time looking for another used one. Tell the distributors force majeure baby!

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, I sure appreciate all the comments that I can use to come up with a price and I can hand these notes to the owner showcaseing the problems with this Old equipment. I have always know what you all say to be true, but I needed to hear it from someone besides myself. Thanks again for all the good posts!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-12-2004 12:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Steve! Best wishes.

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tim

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: