Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JSD now using AC3! JS Processor has been replaced by the JSD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: JSD now using AC3! JS Processor has been replaced by the JSD
Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JS Processor came to its official end today. USL announced today that the JS will still be supported but it will no longer be sold because integrated circuits in its design can no longer be found. This processor came a long way through cinema history. It would appear that USL will replace the analog JS with a new processor...the JSD. I worked with many JS processors over the years and they have proven their value many times over!

[ 08-02-2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Robert Schultz ]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-09-2004 10:58 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very long run for the series...the first one I installed in 1985 is still in service after being moved to three different locations as it was recycled through one circuit. Things don't last forever....rumour that Dolby will stop production on the CP45 soon.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-10-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Analogue Devices is a pain to any circuit designer there VCA chips are used by both Smart and USL in the matrix, noise reduction and VCA modules and most have been discontinued with no 3rd party replacement

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to USL's website and clicked on sound processors and news. Didn't see anything about a JSD anywhere or about JS being discontinued.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL web-site is not up to date and Rob is correct, the JS-series will be supported yet we will not be able to sell any new full units. The replacement JSD-80 is being signed off by the engineers and will be in full production soon. We had hoped the JSD-80 would have been released before we had to pull the plug on the JS-series yet we are just a little behind.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are installing 7 JSD's in our new Monticello theater. After running JS-220's for many years, I'm looking forward to seeing what's USL has cooked up now.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a JSD. What does it look like? What features does it have? Can you still use the JPN Pink noise card with this unit?

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 11:02 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I do not think that I should use this forum as a sales tool I would ask that anyone wanting more information on the JSD-80 please e-mail me directly and I will relay the information. Don't want to piss off the moderators.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to usurp the moderators but I don't think a basic description or a picture if you have one would be inappropriate here. Many are or will be curious.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-12-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve, and I _am_ one of the moderators.

There's no problem with a basic description of what the product does or how it works, especially if it's in response to a question or comment raised on the forum. Better yet, a basic description with a link to the (hopefully soon-to-be-updated) USL web site would give potential customers a place to go for more information.

I should also point out that the "reviews" section of this site could stand to be expanded and that if USL or any other manufacturer is interested in having its product reviewed and has a sample model available for loan, Brad or anyone else might be interested in writing a review of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
I'm looking forward to seeing what's USL has cooked up now.

Well, you are not far off in that statement thats for sure. We have a number of VX crossovers in use and they run hotter than blue blazes [evil] . I believe the new processor is based on the same box/technology so be absolutely sure to install at least double space rack vent plates above and below the new JSD. The enclosure is essentially sealed and has little to no air flow though it.

FYI: We did experience an inordinate number of board failures with the VX units and kept having the board failures till we added the extra vent panels above and below each unit at all locations. I will add that the VX sounds great for a digital DSP based piece, and since adding the vents they have been totally reliable. So if the good sound quality of the VX is any indication of how the JSD will sound then bring it on.... but pleeze add a fan to the thing! I can't think of a digital cinema type piece that doesn't have a built in fan to help keep temperatures within limits.......

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here we go...
In addition to all the features found on the JS-series processors the new JSD-80 series includes a host of features that support upcoming digital cinema projection. The JSD-80 supports eight channels of audio. Eight channel AES EBU input with 32K to 96KHZ sample rates on a DB25 connector. Two optional SPDIF inputs with Dolby® AC3 (pending the signing of the license agreement) or Prologic on RCA jacks for alternative content. Adjustable time delays to compensate for video projectors. Eight channel discrete analog input on a DB25 connector. Two 35MM projector inputs with A or SR noise reduction and surround decoding. Two non-sync stereo inputs with surround decoding on RCA jacks. Built in real time analyzer for A chain and B chain alignment. Built in pink noise generator. Built in EX type decoder. Individual format volume levels. Seven channels of 1/3rd octave "Constant Q" equalization. Parametric equalization on the sub-woofer channel. Integrated laptop graphical user interface for system setup. Eight outputs with active balance circuitry. State of the art 96KHZ sample rate hardware with 106 dB dynamic range. Total harmonic distortion less than 0.015%. One microphone input on a DB9 connector. Automation on a DB25 connector or via RS232. Plug compatible with existing DA20 or DTS6 players. Hearing Impaired output.

Thank you Mark for the kind words about the audio quality of the VX. This unit is based loosely on the VX yet will not have the heat problems the VX had. Once we get into full production we will submit the unit for review.

Thank you Scott for letting me get this information on the thread. By the way this is the unit you and I spoke about in the chat room a while back.

Any time that any of you want to ask me questions please feel free to e-mail or call at 805-549-0161.

Dave Cogley
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Dave Cogley   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Cogley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To demonstrate the capabilities of the new JSD-80 we have posted a link to the laptop interface software. This installation also contains a manual for use of the JSD-80 processor. Our website will be updated in the next couple of days to provide more information. Please feel free to provide feedback directly to me (email) or on this forum.

JSD-80 Laptop Interface Software

Thank You

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2004 04:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Clint Koch
State of the art 96KHZ sample rate hardware with 106 dB dynamic range.
That dynamic range seems a bit limited for a 96khz system? Is this a 24 bit system of is it lower than 24? If lower than 24 how come? Typically 24/96 systems exceed 120 plus db dynamic range....

Thanks!

Mark

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the quote from me is actually from Jack Cashin. I will ask him to clarify and get back to you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: