Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Making down from platter

Author Topic: Making down from platter
Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another quick question, if I may: it's fairly common procedure for us to make films down straight from the platter. We've got a cinemeccanica platter with carbon brake-pad to provide backtension. I've checked that the rollers on the winding bench are the same height as the core that's being wound onto, but it's still the case that within a few revolutions the film going onto the core raises and stays at a level about three millimeters above the top of the core. This isn't a huge problem, because it's still just tail at this point, but I'm sure it's not correct. I'm sure it's a tension thing, but it still happens with the minium amount of braking needed to provide a smooth and tightly would reel. Am I missing something terribly obvious?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-11-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the film being guided onto the core? Is there an undercut "builder" roller that guides and presses the film onto the roll being wound? I suspect some misalignment.

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we don't have anything like that. The roll just sits on the bottom half of a split. I'm trying a system of cardboard spacers with some success, but it feels like a bit of a cludge.

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

You could also try fabricating two flat circular pieces of plastic (from a canister, etc.) so that the core is in effect sitting as a 2000 foot spool would on the MUT.

To get a flawless wind, ensure tension / alignment is correct. You may need to get a rubber grommet or some washers to ensure the spindle allows no play (i.e. movement of the top plastic piece.

If you choose to try this; ensure that the plastic edge is bevelled so any edge is removed. It shouldn't matter if your alignment and tension are flush, however it would be a wise precaution to take. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: