Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal scratches on film

Author Topic: Horizontal scratches on film
Dan Kegley
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Dan Kegley   Email Dan Kegley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help... I can't figure out what is causing horizontal scratches on the film? They are not in the same place and they start at the bottom and work there way up. Some frames have one scratch and others have three and others have two and never in the same spot. What do I do to stop this? It happened about a month ago to a print and now again last night. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-07-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they kind of diagonal? Mostly sideways but at an angle? Do you feel like you're watching the movie through a chain link fence?

The first thing I would suspect is a mis-thread at the point where the film returns to the rewind/takeup platter. See if the film is/was dragging along the edge of the platter.

What kind of platters do you have? Christie? SPECO? Strong?
That information would be VERY helpful.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-07-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Dan. Welcome aboard!

I'm with Randy. Without knowing anything else, the platter deck is the most likely culprit. There are lots of threads on identifying the source of scratches here. Click the search button, and enter 'horizontal scratches'. You should see all kinds of stuff that may help you out. If you're still stuck, give us some more details... platter model, projector model, scratch color, does it occur all the way through the print, only at the beginning, only at the end, etc. Any info would be helpful.

Cheers!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ran into this as to where guidance rollers between transport assembly and projector is the main culprit for horizontal scratching. Film stressing across the rollers can leaves a good "footprint" going across the emulsion, or even the base side of the film. Guidance rollers that are not in square with the film path are prone for this sort of scratching. I've usually maintained that the upper and lower rollers of the projector are square and even with the upper and lower rollers of the platter. Rollers that are at an obtrusive angle coming from the machine (where the film is almost travelling in a horizontal position),esp where the film is leaving the failsafes is being under extreme stress at that point until it heads into a more up/down film path back to the platter-the way film likes to run. I've seen so many pictures in the "picture warehouse" of film paths so obtrusuve is that I wonder if those prints are getting scratched with all of the bending and twisting that the film is being placed under. Too bad we can't all go back to reel to reel changeover booths where film was handled much more simpler and easier - perfect vertical film feed. THX, and good luck.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-08-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer

Rollers that are at an obtrusive angle coming from the machine...

quote: Monte L Fullmer

I've seen so many pictures in the "picture warehouse" of film paths so obtrusuve is that I wonder if those prints are getting scratched with all of the bending and twisting that the film is being placed under.

I DO agree that it would be wise to go through your film path to make sure the film isn't misaligned with a roller or dragging across some place it shouldn't

I DON'T agree that film rollers should always be at 90º angles all the time. If the film isn't coming in at a perfect 90º in the first place then it's not logical that it should be forced to run that way. Further, if the film makes a "compound bend", as it often does at the Upper Magazine Roller the film must NOT be forced to make a right angle turn.

If you know carpentry, you understand that in order to make a "compound miter joint" you have to use two complimentary angles to make a 90º corner in the two pieces of wood. In routing the film, a similar theory applies.

Do you want to see an "obtrusive" film path?!

Go to THIS PAGE!

You'll probably shit yourself! [Big Grin]
I guarantee that not one millimeter of film got scratched on that day! (Or ever, for that matter!)

The secret is to check and double check your rollers to make sure the film rolls over them smoothly without touching anything they shouldn't be. Get some scrap film and use it to test things out while you make your adjustments.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use christie platters where I work and have had the same problem. It is caused by the film riding on the side of the roller of the swing arm below the platter deck.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From the guy's description, it sounds to me like a loop scratch from an oversized loop, very common especially with older Christie projectors that do not have the slap guards, but can happen with most machines.

I have never, ever seen the AW3 takeup arm be capable of creating a scratch. That would require a serious misthread with the roller cocked to achieve that.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you clean your sprockets/film-path with a tooth brush? Also sounds like a brush bristle or something might be cought on the intermittent sprocket.

Cheers

K.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Follow the film from Feeding platter, and just before it goes down in the projection, there is a place that the film can rub against the frame of the projector if it is not fed in front of the roller. That would cause the film to touch a horizontal frame of the projector, and cause horizontal scratches.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it rubs against the frame of the machineyou will have verticle scratchs

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: