Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Component Engineering Que Expander

Author Topic: Component Engineering Que Expander
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 12:58 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an FM-35 Cue Detector with a Cue Expander.

My D-Cinema Playback equipment is currently pulsing my three basic ques. I use the film console to start the player along with the normal slide projector operations. The automation is also contained within the film console so it is partially powered up. Today, I have to hang a piece of film on the Cue Detector for "Fim Presence", so that I can press "Start".

What I would like to do is use my new playback equipment to simulate this "Film Presence" on the Que Expander. All I have available is a dry relay.

Please keep this thread on topic. There are enough other threads for discussion about D-Cinema.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-03-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't say what automation you are using, just that you're using the FM-35 and a QX-10.

In any case, guessing that your automation wants to see a closed contact when there IS film presence, wire the NO relay you've got* (which should close during operation to simulate film presence) across (in parallel) the film presence lines anywhere between, or at either, the automation inputs or the QX-10 outputs.

If the automation wants to see an open contact when there IS film presence, you'll want to wire a NC relay in series on the same automation line and open it whenever you want to simulate film presence.

Make sure that the D-Cinema playback equipment will still allow your traditional film system to work properly when shut off. The above should work fine.

*I assume your D-Cinema playback equipment has a NO relay, most do. Both the NO and NC contacts may be available though.

That said... will your D-Cinema playback equipment toggle that relay if there is a failure of any of D-Cinema playback equipment, such that you'd want to simulate a film break? If it doesn't it may be more convenient to just use a toggle switch in your console and mark it FILM / DIGITAL. It'd save having an extra pair of wires to run across the floor if you can't run it through (maybe non-) existing conduit.

Watch your back too! Some people get really protective of their D-Cinema installations and get upset when other people touch it... so programming that relay could be a controversial matter.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daryl.

My automation is set inside my Christie lamphouse so maybe that answers the question.

There are diodes setup on the other input wires that drive the other automation cues so I was going to add those to make sure that it wont' fire voltage back.

I have been working with the installer of the system to get this final input wired in. They have been very helpful to get us converted from the old unit to the new. That final issue you mentioned isn't one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: