Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Incredibles Print - Reel Change Indicators (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Incredibles Print - Reel Change Indicators
Jarrod Cocker
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 06:24 AM      Profile for Jarrod Cocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Im a newbie, as you can tell (post number 2 - ya)

Anyway, anyway - i was over at my friend, IMDB and people where asking questions about Reel Change Inditator (or cigaret burns, whateva, you guys know what im talking about)

Apparently, there a bit different from the most films?

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Im in Aus and we Dont Get the film till Dec 26, so i unable to post a reply over at IMDB

IMDB - Incredibles Reel Change Post

Thanks everyone, keep up the good work. I think im going to be here a bit from now on, hope thats ok!

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 07:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, someone can post an image of the changeover cues being used for "The Incredibles". Being that this feature is CGI animation, it would be quite feasible to have "custom" cues (e.g., the "Incredibles" logo of an oval with an "i" in the center), as long as they were positioned in the same place and with the same timing as specified by standard SMPTE 301-1999:

quote:
6.2 Motor cue
The motor cue shall consist of black circles or clear
circles, printed from a negative which has had four
consecutive frames marked as shown in figures 6, 7,
and 8 for 16-mm, 35-mm, and 70-mm films, respectively.
The position and dimensions of this mark shall
be as given in table 1. Following the four frames
containing the motor cue, there shall be 172 frames
to the beginning of the changeover cue.
6.3 Changeover cue
The changeover cue shall consist of four frames
containing circles of the same dimensions and position
on the frame as those in the motor cue. Following
the four frames of the changeover cue, there shall be
18 frames to the beginning of the runout section of the
trailer.

Jarrod Cocker
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 07:24 AM      Profile for Jarrod Cocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually suggested over at IMDB that it might be the Actual 'Incredibles Logo'

That would be cool, and something different!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 08:21 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote IMDB forum:
quote:
cigarette burns
[Eek!]

I've seen some bad cues in my time, but none that bad!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-02-2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they don't do this, because then it's going to be some new stupid thing people will start doing, and not all title logos will happen to be a circle. (Imagine "bat wings" for the next batman movie.) As time passes, they will get bigger and bigger, more colorful and more obnoxious. It will be sort of like watching tv with the stupid channel "bug" in the corner.

Whoever does this first needs to be brutally beaten in the head.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Start the beating. Yes, I'll confirm it. It is a very subtle version of "The Incredibles" logo (the circle with the "i" in the center). When I say subtle, I mean it is, in my opinion, less distracting than traditional change-over cues. But you all will be the judge of that...

Speaking of "The Incredibles," did anybody see the front page story in The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday, October 27th? It talks about a special projectionist contest that Disney and Pixar are putting on. It's pretty cool. The objective is to reward those projectionists that care... I expect to see many winners from this group!

Good Luck.

Yours, Ted
Dolby, Dolby, Dolby.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that what it's supposed to be? I thought it was just unusually faint. I just looked at it again on the bench and indeed it's very thin circle, not complete all the way around, and sort of an "i" in the middle. I didn't notice it being animated while screening but as this is digitally inserted and not the result of scribing all 4 dots should be all the same but they're not so there must've been some variation over the 1/6 second. They are properly near the edge (not like those stupid cues so far in so as to accomodate bozos cropping Scope to 1.85).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-02-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Film Done Right" contest sponsored by Pixar, Disney and Dolby:

http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000685200

quote:
Oct. 27, 2004

Pixar spotlight on projection

ORLANDO -- Projectionists at movie theaters nationwide are in for an incredible surprise. For the upcoming animated feature "The Incredibles," Pixar Animation Studios, Walt Disney's Buena Vista Distribution and Dolby Production Services have organized an opening weekend contest to honor the best cinema presentations in the United States -- and to ensure that the movie is properly presented. "We just realize how important the projectionists are,"Bill Kinder, Pixar's director of editorial and postproduction, said. "They're the last link in the quality-control chain for us. We spend four years in order to make our movies look and sound great. We want to put a spotlight on projectionists and open a direct line of communication with them." Reps from the three companies plan to randomly visit 300 theaters on opening day of "The Incredibles" -- Nov. 5 -- in search of the perfect theatrical presentation. The grand prize winner, for the best presentation, will win a two-day round trip to San Francisco, a tour of Pixar and hotel accommodations for up to four people. (Sheigh Crabtree)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/threast/pdfs/thre102704.pdf

See page 2 for the complete article.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-02-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reps from the three companies plan to randomly visit 300 theaters on opening day of "The Incredibles" -- Nov. 5 -- in search of the perfect theatrical presentation.
You know, I have less and less respect for the studios every day. MORONS! They need to wait at least a couple of months and THEN go do their random check. 99% or better will have a nice clean and scratch-free print on opening day. DUH!!!!! Could this possibly be any more stupid?

And mark my words today, this changeover / bug thing has officially started and will become an amazing annoyance to film presentations within 3 years. Anyone want to join me in the beating squad?

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's time the staid world of Cue Marks was shaken up!

Also, they only need to go in on the second day to see any deterioration [Big Grin]

But hats off to them for acknowledging the vital role of the Projectionist.

Incidentally :

quote: Steve Kraus
(not like those stupid cues so far in so as to accomodate bozos cropping Scope to 1.85)
I'm not an expert here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the current SMPTE Standard seems to unify cue mark placement vis-a-vis 35mm 'Scope and Flat ratios, so that this should not be happening anymore. Are all the labs aware of the current Standard?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 12:28 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody in this area needs to start packing.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-03-2004 12:51 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. I will bet that 90% of the screens here will have dirty, scratched, out of focus, out of frame presentations on opening day.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good presentation lasts the test of time. Enough said.

Thanks for teh concept Pixar, but listen to what's being said in the industry, by the operators, and you'll see where your true showmanship comes from.

I'm with you Brad... next thing you know, they'll be ads in the chnageover indictors... [Frown]

This [bs] idea gets two [thumbsdown] and a big [fu] from me!

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the point? they are fine as they are. Making them more noticeable would be worse for viewers, and less noticeable would be worse on reel changing projectors. I dunno. I learned not to trust IMDB after they said that "On The Road" was going to be in 2004 [Mad] .

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that the idea is to be "cute" and provide an "easter egg" to those "in the know" about cue dots. As long as they are not more visible than standard punched lab cues, it seems a fine idea to me.

BVPD/Pixar seem trying to appeal to projectionists in a big way with Incredibles, and this seems like just another part of that.

Again, if it makes you smile, and doesn't hurt anything, it is a good thing [thumbsup] .

Vaguely reminiscent of the Star Wars Special Edition cue dots with the starburst shape.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: