Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Film Seminar?

Author Topic: Kodak Film Seminar?
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 03:20 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a problem in the booth the other day that no one could fix. Not a big deal, they got on the phone with our engineering people and they had it fixed in a few hours. The problem we were having was a belt that needed to be replaced. Again, not a big deal. Well what is a big deal is when I find out that only one person in the projection staff knows how to change one because they leave it up to a kodak projection seminar to teach it, and since it's $50 a head they wanted to wait until there were enough projectionists needing to go to send them all at once and be done with it. This really isn't that bad, since the GM and senior managers know how to do most of these things, and we have engineering folk for the things they don't, but now I am left wondering what the hell is covered in this seminar, and is it worth losing an evening to?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-31-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link for one of the training seminars. Not sure if its only $50 a head though. Sounds pretty cheap to me. If thats the case, I'd pay with my own money.

Kodak Training

quote:
Projection Training
Kodak offers advanced projection training.
For further information and program pricing, contact ei-cinema@kodak.com or call (310) 204-7100.

Kodak Cinema Operations is pleased to announce that we are now offering an advanced training course for film handlers. Building on the solid foundation provided by our beginner class, our advanced class provides students with hands-on training and advanced knowledge of traditional film systems. Our class has a low student-to-instructor ratio in order to maximize the amount of hands-on training provided. Advanced classes are offered in our Los Angeles training facility. Our intensive two-day agenda covers the following topics:

DAY ONE
Sound:

RTA
Multiplexer
Oscilloscope
A-Chain alignment
B-Chain alignment
Digital B-Chain levels
R2 unit
Cleaning readers, lenses, solar cells
Cleaning soundtracks
Sound troubleshooting

Lamphouse:

Cleaning the lamphouse
Cleaning the reflector and mirrors
Reflector alignment (laser/string)
Measuring line voltage
Adjusting the wattage of bulbs
Changing diodes/diode bank
Changing relays
Electrical troubleshooting

DAY TWO

Optics:

Focusing range for the anamorphic
Design of a cinema lens (elements, focus ring, primary, secondary and magna-con)

Projector (Threading side):

Changing gate bands
Adjusting the lens turret
Changing sprockets
Changing and adjusting pad rollers
Changing the intermittent sprocket
Adjusting the gate for jitter and weave

Projector (Gear side):

Cleaning the gear side
Removing the intermittent
Removing the shutter
Changing the oil
Adjusting the shutter (re-timing)

Training Center:
We are proud to offer our state-of-the-art-training center located in Los Angeles to any one eager to learn. This center is designed to mirror a projection booth from a typical multiplex so that hands on training will flow straight into real life situations.

This program covers a broad range of subjects focused on projection systems as well as the most fundamental aspect, film handling. Below is a comprehensive list by subject and items covered.

Film Handling & Projection: Receiving and inspecting film, frame identification, damage, film characteristics, splicing/build-up and tear-down, transport systems, threading patterns, projector components, paths, hands-on threading, projector and platter maintenance, troubleshooting, preventive maintenance.

Power, Automation & Electrical: Volt meters, AC, DC, diodes, ohms, rectifiers, manual starts, timers, failsafe demonstration, Xenon bulbs, light path, port glass, lenses, screens, amp meters, wattage formula, lamphouse, maintenance, bulb changing safety gear, auditorium changing and focus, status logs, diode check, power supply troubleshooting.

Sound: How it works, soundtracks, sound formats, digital readers, troubleshooting sound, maintenance.

Miscellaneous: Review of the history of film, showmanship, safety and communication in the projection booth, maintenance duties and logs, and more.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-01-2004 08:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak ScreenCheck projection training seminars that are given on site for Harkins Theatres require the instuctors to travel to Arizona. Harkins Theatres determines the attendance list.

Don Lane coordinates the ScreenCheck training program:

donald.f.lane@kodak.com

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's a little more specific than I thought I'd get for a response!

Makes sense as to why they wanted to wait for so long, now I'll push them to get it done soon so I can benifit, because I'm always looking to learn more.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 03:55 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we finally had the seminar the last couple of days, I managed to get chosen to attend without begging anyone. It was an interesting couple of days, especially considering the fact that we were in a booth without air conditioning [Roll Eyes] I know that sounds like a stupid compaint this time of year to some of you, but it was probably a constant and uncomfortable 83-84 most of the time.

The good news is that I finally have some sort of idea what the hell you guys are talking about. Things I thought I knew from reading up on the equipment we use, but that I truly had no clue about. I can change belts, time platters, diagnose a wider range of problems than I previously could, and I could change and focus a xenon bulb if it was needed. Hopefully it was worth the couple hundred bucks a person it ended up costing, although I certainly would love never having to apply any of this knowledge(I'm not holding my breath).

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 05:15 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great idea!!I know a few projectionists in Oz that would benefit enormously from a seminar like this.
John
Are you aware of Kodak doing this sort of seminar in OZ?
Would Kodak supply this seminar in written form for people to purchase who cannot make it to the seminar.I suppose I could turn it into a BUSINESS TRIP and let the Taxman pay for some of it. [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall that Kodak has presented the workshop "down under" several times, usually when a theatre circuit gathered together enough students. I'm not sure if our Australian technical experts or our instructors from Los Angeles conduct the workshop.

Here is the contact information:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/projTrainingP.shtml

quote:
Kodak offers advanced projection training.
For further information and program pricing, contact ei-cinema@kodak.com or call (310) 204-7100.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/wwoffices.jhtml?id=0.1.4.5&lc=en#australia

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/train/index.jhtml?id=0.1.4.9&lc=en

Sorry, I don't think the training materials are available as "stand alone" publications.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,I will contact Kodak. [thumbsup]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-11-2005 07:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Sorry, I don't think the training materials are available as "stand alone" publications.
Most of the topics are covered in the manuals. The Dolby manuals are very detailed and informative, including sections on the theory of noise reduction and digital sound and film sound history. Many of the projector manuals are fairly detailed too.

Can you point us to a good compact text about
"Design of a cinema lens (elements, focus ring, primary, secondary and magna-con)"
please?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-11-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schnieder Optics has quite a bit of online information:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_papers/

As does IscoOptic:

http://www.iscooptic.de/isco_new_e/downloads_e.html

Here's a link to references about optics:

http://www.opticsnotes.com/books.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: