Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS-6 stops playing discs

Author Topic: DTS-6 stops playing discs
Thorsten Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 07:32 AM      Profile for Thorsten Schmidt   Email Thorsten Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there !
Hello my name is Thorsten Schmidt.
I work in a Cinema in Berlin Germany,
First I would like to say this is a very very good Forum,
with many competent Members.
Well now to my actual Problem.
We have a defect TC Reader and would Like to use instead the Reader a DTS E175 timecode

converter .
We have the following problem with the new DTS Discs,
Everything runs Ok, BUT after 2 minutes the CD-Rom of our DTS-6 assemblies stops suddenly.
This Problem occurs only with the new dts Discs the one in the new Case.
Tests with older DTS discs ran without each disturbance.
After we had considered that our DTS6 would be possible the Problem.
(The U14 (TCR chip) of the DTS6 has the firmware v1.46 on it and v1.20 on the E175) Up to

Date!!
We decided to test the E175 in combination with a DTS 6/6D, after this test we can exclude

that the dts6 is the causers (same Problem ) .

For each assistance I am very grateful.

Best Regards

[ 07-07-2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's been over 12 hours with no answer to your question, I will suggest you need to email DTS about your problem. Do a search for Karen Hultgren here at the forum, then look up her email address. She will take care of you.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-30-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
I don't think anyone here is avoiding Thorsten at all. I also think he may have answered his own question by saying that the old disks play fine..... his new disks might be bad. Personally I'm not sure what he means by new disks and old disks. I only know of one DTS disk carrier in use over here. I wonder if its done a different way over there. I wonder of he got that software upgrade done(not the formware U.G., the one on the disk and that might also be his problem......?

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't suggesting people were ignoring him...normally when you post a question on here, you get it answered within minutes, not hours. I just figured he stumped everyone! [Smile]

Thorsten Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 05:46 AM      Profile for Thorsten Schmidt   Email Thorsten Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

thanks for your concern about my problem. In our house are 4 installations and on one of them is the TC reader defective. We want to use our E175 as replacement for the reader.
The problem is as I wrote in the topic exists only if the E175 is connected and only with the new CDs. New CDs are the ones which are delivered in the new cases. I don´t know how it is in the USA, but here in germany are since a few months new CDs issued. Sorry, if it is written a bit complicated, but in every case comes the new CDs with the message that "XD10 and "6AD" has to be updated.
We tried already to exchange the machines but we got the same messages. If we use a TC reader we got no problems. We got that problems only if we use the E175. With the older CDs we mean which doesn´t have those messages on the case. Those are working very fine if we use the TC reader or the E175.
Could the reason be a change at DTS?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-31-2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thorsten. I now agree with Mike that you need to contact DTS directly with your problem. This could directly correlate with the software upgrand disk or it might be that you are not setting the disk serial number on the E-175 correctly. The serial number corresponds to the time code sequence itself and you might not be getting the correct number for th full run of the disk(s). I would hope that after updating the DTS units that things would still run normally, and they seem to with the TC reader, am I correct?. And why not repair that bad TC reader and use that the normal way, to use the E-175 for sync playback the ptojector needs to have a shaft encoder that in turn feeds the E-175 to keep things locked in sync. BTW: The E-175 has been replaced by a new DTS TC generator which is much more flexible.

Mark

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2004 05:09 AM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are you going to use the timecode reader? I thought you could only put in one reel number at a time into that. how is it set up?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-03-2004 05:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the software update has something to do with compatibility with the anti-piracy measures implemented by DTS. Maybe there is some code around the serial# which is checked by the unit, who knows? I bet they won't tell you how that works and how you can work around it.

quote: Thorsten Schmidt
If we use a TC reader we got no problems.
How about you get the reader repaired then?

DTS Europe
+44(0)118.934.9199
dtsinfo@dtsonline.co.uk

Or call Kinoton Berlin, they are also a DTS dealer.

BTW what cinema in Berlin do you work at?

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a general parts house item description or part # for the 10 posintion female IDC ribbon cable connector that goes on BS22 of a DTS6 ribbon cable?

I'm running over to work on a DTS 6 that's missing it this weekend, but have misgivings about just hitting the computer store for a part first. I don't know the AWG of the cable's conductors, whether it makes a difference, or if a special crimp tool is needed to install the connector.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal Schaffer is correct in his post. The fix is to replace the TC reader head. Other than that no comment. Mr. Hooper don't trouble yourself looking for this part just contact Karen and I'm sure for an item of this size she will just send it to you.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-12-2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What generation of reader heads MUST be replaced to work with the current films? Is there a serial number cut off?

How can the reader make the difference on a copy protection scheme? Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may have misunderstood or perhaps I did not make it clear in my response, earlier in this thread it was reported someone had a bad timecode reader head and wanted to substitute it with a E174 box. It was recommended that this should not be done and to get a replacement reader head instead.
To clarify some other things that may be misleading, DTS does not have a copy protection scheme, rather it would be better explained as playback protection, meaning you need the print and a disc to fully play back a DTS feature. Timecode reader head versions are not affected by any current or past prints and in no way need to be updated if in good working condition. There have been several different Reader Heads versions over the years, changes were only in the circuit board, and visually they all look the same. The most current released version is “H”. As long as the reader is working I would not be concerned in version or age of the reader head. As always it’s a good practice to perform basic maintenance, blow off dirt, check bearings, check reader head voltage, etc. Getting back to current DTS films and playback, the DTS-6 and DTS-6D must have V1.46 TCR chip installed. DTS-6AD must have software version 2.06, XD10 software version 1.01.17. With out these updates the DTS will drop out and not play after two minutes of the reel.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Thank you for your clarification. That really helps out a lot and sums up what just about everyone needs to know about their units.

I do recall the first generation readers had their LEDs go bad after a relatively short time (the circa 1993 ones) and those have been almost universally changed out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: