Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailer pack formats

Author Topic: Trailer pack formats
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 12:52 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else had a probem with their stock trailer shipments not containing enough of a certain format? Last night we were short a few flat trailer packs so we just cut off the old trailers and had to leave it like that.

On the same token we had 3 extra scope, way to go guys.

Also, what's the idea with car commercials at the movies? It's not like anyone is going to get out of their seat to go buy a car. Pepsi ads I understand, teasers for new movies I understand as well, but why go through all that trouble to advertise cars on the big screen when the patrons are going to forget the ad existed in the first place?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
Also, what's the idea with car commercials at the movies? It's not like anyone is going to get out of their seat to go buy a car. Pepsi ads I understand, teasers for new movies I understand as well, but why go through all that trouble to advertise cars on the big screen when the patrons are going to forget the ad existed in the first place?

Creative pre-show ads designed for the big screen have a very good retention rate, and the audience demographics can be selected much more precisely than a television ad.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/digital/shoWest04_newCenter.jhtml?id=0.1.4.24.32&lc=en

quote:
The Kodak Operations Center serves as a hub for the preparation and distribution of pre-show content to hundreds of theaters in the U.S. The content is developed and provided by advertising suppliers using Kodak Digital Cinema systems to project more colorful, more engaging and more effective pre-shows in the cinema.

"This new, digital-based service business is consistent with Kodak's long term commitment to the future of the motion picture industry," said Don Lane, Manager for the Kodak Operations Center. "It is a giant step towards a dramatic transformation of pre-show time -- from a fragmented screening of slides to an entertaining addition to the feature film."

"Going to the movies is a social experience," said Missy Koehler, Director of Operations for Cinema Screen Media, the leading customer for Kodak's services. "We design our pre-show content to enable people in the audience to socialize and be entertained at the same time. Our goal is to add to the enjoyment of the cinema guests while we create expanded revenue opportunities for exhibitors."

Cinema Screen Media is one of the country's leading full-service designers and suppliers of advertising and other promotional content for cinemas. CSM contracts with cinema owners for the 'pre-show screen time', which is then marketed to advertisers and others wishing to reach out to the desirable movie audience demographic.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just left the theater I worked at, but I never really had a problem of not having enough trailers.
Granted I did work for AMC which is one of the big chains who really never has to worry about that.

I don't like commercials in theaters either, but I don't see your logic when it comes to car commercials.
No one is going to run out of their house to but a car just by seeing a commercial, but they still show them on tv.
And no one is going to hear a car commercial on the radio and drive over to the dealership to buy it, but they may remember it when it comes time for them to buy one.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I was considering buying a truck but now that I've seen the ads with the new Honda hybrids I'm reconsidering. I mean...Look at that mileage!

The the indie I worked at trailers were a golden egg and we never had them. If we did they were few and far between.
At Wallace I always had too many. At Cinema West I tend to have just the right amount for most features. Sometimes we get something at the last minute and I'll only have a couple trailers for it, but as far as our big stuff goes I've always got enough trailers.
Though lately I've had a disparity of Flat trailers. I'm not sure why. I guess that's just how the fish flops.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess i didn't really think about it that much. To tell the truth the last 2 times I've been car shopping I haven't thought of any car ad, TV or radio or on-screen.

And we did end up finding 2 more flat stock trailers, a manager had swiped too many for build-up and left them mixed in with his large pile of junk.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I don't like anyone but the GM and maybe one other projectionist to know how to build.
Too many cooks in the kitchen=disaster.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the guy doing it wasn't even a projectionist, just someone who knew how to build up...

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be learning how to build up too. We usually have two build-up and one tear-down per week. As long as I learn how to build-up I can screen movies though, you just have to know how to fix everything thats broken since the build-up people will be long gone by the time the movie is over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: