Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS trailer soundtrack different from analog

Author Topic: DTS trailer soundtrack different from analog
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 07:28 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that many trailers are missing the music track when played through a DTS system with the trailer disk loaded in the machine. If I switch to the SR analog sound, the trailer's music track will be there along with the voice and Sfx tracks. I find this a little odd. Does adding music to the track require a lot of extra storage space on the DTS CD-ROM? Or is something else going on.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything is hypothetically possible but the sound should be substantially the same.

Are you sure you are listening to all channels when listening to DTS? Are you sure your DTS system is installed correctly and all channels set to the proper levels? Digital sound (all three types) can send sound independently to each channel without cross talk. Analog sound is a 2 channel system that uses phase and level to direct sound among 4 channels (5 with subwoofer) and cannot do so with 100% separation. If the original mix has music playing on L & R and you are only listening to C you won't hear it in digital but will hear it in analog.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similarly, the output gain on the DTS unit might be misconfigured.
Are you sure this does not happen on features? Can you give an example of a trailer where you see this problem, so someone else can verify?

--jhawk

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your ideas. The DTS system was set up properly by a professional tech. Features sound great in the Auditorium. My theater is a single screen, so I can't try the same trailers in a different auditorium. We don't run film Thursdays, so I'll do some more experimentation with different trailers tommorow.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Play a setup disc. (If you don't have one you can download an image file of one here.) Verify you hear each channel being called out. You could have a dead amp or something.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-28-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you listening to the trailers in the auditorium, or from your booth monitor? If you are listening from the booth monitor, you may only have the center channel selected to be heard. The music is probably playing in the left and right channels, but you don't hear them because those channels aren't selected. If it's like that in the auditorium, then you gotz somethin' screwed up somewherez, yo!

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked out the booth monitor and found that the install tech had (for some unknown reason) wired the L,C,R inputs all from the feed from the center channel amp! I re-wired that part of the rack and trailers now play fine in the booth (and in the auditorium)

Brad, thanks for the link for the DTS D3S disk download. I burned a copy of it and used it to isolate the problem.

Thanks a lot for the ideas. If I would have just walked out into the auditorium while the trailers played I would have figured it out myself.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: