Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » measuring/detecting static?

Author Topic: measuring/detecting static?
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 03:58 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a coworker says she's noticing some static cling as our films are feeding their brains. she thinks this might be due to our storing platter covers in plastic bins during the day. i'd like to determine if this is the case, or if it's a normal weather-related change.

i don't feel the hairs on the back of my hand stand up when i stick it in the bins, but there must be a more sensitive way to detect static. any ideas?

carl

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 04:08 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the best way to detect static would be to get some of those "bean bag beans". Those are the lights things that react the easiest to static. You might try other things that react well to static. I'm not saying that the best way is to use "bean bag beans", but to use something that is like it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 05:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with a conductive antistatic backing on the print, any static buildup on the surface of the film needs a good path to ground to discharge completely. Treat all non-metallic platter surfaces and plastic rollers with a conductive topical conductive antistat like "Static Guard", "Staticide", or "NeutroStat". Keeping the relative humidity close to the recommended range of 50 to 60 percent RH helps increase the conductivity of the emulsion.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 05:31 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to buy, beg or borrow an electrometer. Try a local school, physics departments always have them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: