Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Highlight console: regular or short arc lamps?

Author Topic: Highlight console: regular or short arc lamps?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-26-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use both regular horizontal lamps (for instance CXL-30R, XBO3000W/H or equivalents) and short arc lamps like CXL-20SC or XBO2000W/HS, although they recommend not to use the 3k short arc lamp.
Which type of lamp works better in your experience?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-27-2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the reflector in the ultra80 and most of the older highlights was optimized for the longer arc gap of the long lamps

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the proper term now for those new extra short gap bulbs, short arc? I'm asking because originally that was the term used for all movie projector type xenon bulbs. Osram, for one, still describes them that way.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-27-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short arc is probably not used correctly in my first post. I meant the shortened lamp. I think you are right that short arc stands for xenon lamps like we use in the cinema in general. At least in German it does ("Kurzbogenlampe").
The new 4k GS lamp from LTI which was shown to us at the recent Strong seminar in Omaha does have a shorter gap and a smaller vessel with higher internal pressure.
If you go to ltilamps.com, you can see that presentation under Press Releases.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-27-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the shorter lamp will fit with the appropriate adaptors and yes, it will give you a bit more light.

One thing none of the lamp manufacturers will tell you oughtright about is that the short gap arc lamps have drastically shorter life..... it goes with the size I guess. It is printed in the lamp specs though. Hopefully, eventually, these lamps will have the same or close life span to regular gap lamps sometime in the future.

Mark @ CLACO

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael-

I have Highlight II consoles and use Osrams.

For 2K &3K: H OFR
For 4K: HS OFR

I am happy with them and see no reason to switch. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: