Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help planning stadium seating? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help planning stadium seating?
Jennifer Fieber
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Jennifer Fieber   Email Jennifer Fieber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scrappy little non-profit theater (and film archive) I work for is planning to renovate it's large 200 + seat theater. I am hoping to convince the powers that be to install stadium seating so I need advice on what companies supply and install retrofit systems---I believe the scaffolding is all prefab at this point and easy to install. I'll need estimates before we can write up our grant proposals.

If anyone has done this recently and has advice please post here or contact me off list if you prefer

We're in NYC. Thanks!

[ 10-26-2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the sightlines in your current theatre unsatisfactory -- i.e., the heads of people in front of you block part of the screen? Or are you just trying to get more comfortable seats and more leg room? If you already have decent sightlines, your money might be better spent on top-of-the-line seats and increasing the row spacing to afford lots of leg room. I know stadium seating is "in" with audiences now, but a well designed sloped floor auditorium with quality seats and lots of leg room offer the same advantages, without the accessability/safety disadvantages.

Jennifer Fieber
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 04:07 PM      Profile for Jennifer Fieber   Email Jennifer Fieber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now the floor is not sloped at all so, yes sight lines are a problem. The theater is on the top floor of a very old building, so we can't exactly pour cement to make it sloped. I agree that stadium seating isn't as great as everyone thinks. We are just looking to rise each row to clear the row in front, but not an extreme angle as some theaters do.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of installing risers is certainly a prime issue. But seeing as you have no slope, stadium seating is probably the best option in your case, Jennifer. In my building, the front (non-stadium) rows have only a few inches of elevation change from front to back row. Maybe you could install the front rows on painted particle board that slopes according to your sightlines?

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jen,

I've come across this website before: http://www.sseseating.com/

A quote from the wesbite:
"The SSE EPS Geofoam stadium seating system is the most economical tiered seating system on the market today

Both SSE stadium seating systems can be installed and ready for concrete in less than 2 days per auditorium

SSE stadium seating systems are designed to fit any theatre, lecture hall or auditorium configuration

SSE stadium platform systems are equally adaptable to flat or sloped floor designs

The SSE EPS Geofoam system can conform to virtually any platform design shape or configuration

The SSE EPS Geofoam system possesses excellent acoustic properties minimizing any reverberation or sound transfer

SSE stadium seating systems are equally appropriate for new construction or retrofit/renovation design applications

The typical SSE stadium seating system is designed to be independent from the theatre or auditorium building structure

All stadium seating platform components can be brought into the auditorium or movie theatre through an existing pedestrian door

Each modular stadium seating platform component is designed to be easily be carried by two workman

Because the SSE stadium seating system is installed late in the construction phase of the project, it enhances general contractor productivity and scheduling

SSE stadium seating system installations require low-skill labor, the overall cost for installation and construction can be greatly reduced

Either SSE System can be completely installed by the general contractor ready for finishing in less than 2 days per auditorium

Installation of the SSE stadium seating system minimizes disruption to ongoing operations in adjacent auditoriums or theatres

SSE stadium seating systems are completely prefabricated and delivered to the project site ready for installation by the general contractor

SSE Steel stadium seating systems are considered to be a piece of equipment and eligible for accelerated depreciation (7 vs. 39 years)

The SSE Steel stadium seating system is eligible for lease-purchase financing"

I hope this helps!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do a slope floor without pouring concrete unless building codes forbid it. It would be simple for an experienced carpenter to create what you need with wood construction.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wood is ok but if built on a large scale not properly executed can get creaky and noisy over time as things loosen up a bit and the wood expands and contracts. I would reccomend hiring a Stadium Seating company that will come in and do the entire job for you from start to finish. Its a bit more expensive but well worth the extra expense and your down time will normally be shortened over useing someone with little or no experience. FYI: One of our larger customers has had an ongoing project to stadiumize all his theatres. He has found a good contractor in this area that specializes in just this sort of thing and has been doing this location by location. All have been styrofoam with concrete on top so far. The results have been pretty good so far and no big problems at all. I can get you in touch with our customer if you'd like to find out more but you'd have to e-mail me directly for that info.

Mark @ CLACO

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer, you are expected to read and fully understand the rules before you post here. The next time you post your email address on a thread, you will be deleted. The rules are linked at the top of every forum page. Click on it and read them before you post again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several companies that have had good sucess useing prefab cast styrofoam modules wil ferro concrete poured over them to stadium retrofits
I have no links to them but have been happy with several installs that have been done in them after the fact

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-26-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike 8 in Lawton is in the process of converting its auditoriums to stadium seating. The company doing the retrofit is using an aluminum extrusion frame work and then pouring concrete to build up the stadium risers. The risers don't take up all the floor space. The front 1/3 of the auditoriums will have seating on a traditional slope.

A similar conversion is nearly complete in Shawnee. The slope of the stadium riser is not nearly as severe as you see in new theaters built for stadium seating. The average auditorium ceiling height is 18 feet at the back wall. A taller riser would interfere with projection. What are the averages for theaters designed for stadium seating, 30 feet or more?

I think the end result of the retrofit will be pretty nice. I don't know how the stadium risers will affect audio quality, but I'm hopeful it will still be good since the speaker systems won't be driving any extra cubic airspace. However, on the downside, I have serious doubts the #4 screen will remain THX certified. Out of all the existing theaters Carmike has converted to stadium seating, I don't think they've carried over any THX certifications. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote against the stadium seats and for spending the money on nicer seats.

Just because the floor is flat, it doesn't necessarily mean there are sightline problems. If the screen is placed well enough, people won't have to look through other peoples' heads to see it.
Sometimes there are sightline problems. Sometimes there aren't. You have to move around the theater and check it out for yourself.

If the layout of the seats is planned well enough, you can avoid some of the sightline problems that you might have had in the past when you place the new ones.

I just hate stadium seating.
It's a bitch to clean.
It's a bitch to walk up and down the stairs 10 times a day when you work in the theater.
It's a pain in the butt to get the sound system to work right. (If you don't place the speakers the right way.)
It's a pain to get the projector to hit the screen the right way because of the angle.
People in the back rows, up near the port window get in the way of the picture when they walk by. (Or they wave their hands to make shadow puppets.)
Customers trip and fall up/down the stairs in the dark.
Old, fat people don't like walking up and down stairs.
It sucks for handicapped people.
And... I think it looks just plain hokey... Sort of like the way old, classic cars look well-designed but late model cars look like plastic encrusted spaceships.

Go for the flat floor plan and spend money on seats that people will like to sit in for two hours.

How does your screen look? How about the speakers behind the screen? What about your amps & sound system? You could spend a modest/average amount of money to replace the seats and use the rest to get a better sound system... or projector, etc.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as wooden riser construction goes, I've been in a number of "black box" performance theaters that have built stadium-type seating, framed with 2x4's & faced with plywood.

Invariably they creak - the solution is to use only drywall screws & apply wood glue EVERYWHERE two wooden surfaces meet.

The biggest problem though is that they resonate. Boom, boom, thump, people going up & down the risers or across the aisles; BOOM someone's dropped a purse or uncrossed his legs & put one foot heavily on the floor, etc.

The resonance problem isn't just from the people moving around. Shows with sound reinforcement will make the closed wooden risers resonate like a big washtub bass. They'll make anything sound muddy.

Some of your problem is likely going to be floor load, so pouring nice, non-resonant concrete in that room may not be practical or safe. That will put you back to wood or aluminum.

Folks have pointed out drawbacks of stadium seating, not the least of which is if someone falls on a step, klutz, dark, age, infirmity or whatever to blame, here comes Mr. Liability. On the other hand, your situation may really be better suited to stadium-type seating than flat floor, especially if the screen is low.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 09:17 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there is a lightweight concrete that you can use on top of wood floors. I know that this type of concrete was used to pour over the studio floors of a radio station studio. But I have no idea what it's called.
As a note however, people who come to the theater here (1949 vintage art deco) have commented that they "HATE" the stadium seating at AMC and love our sloped floor. More legroom between seats and no stairs to trip over.
If you have room for risers then you have room to slope.
Don't forget about folks in wheel chairs.
You can stagger seat rows so you are looking between the people in front.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a tiered seating arrangement?
That would give you a semi-stadium design.

The newest venue at my college has a stadium seating plan. I freakin' hate it! It's a "back loader". People come in the doors, walk up to the edge of the stairs and teeter on the edge of the cliff, looking down, while they decide what to do. All the while, there are more people coming in behind them. They look like LEMMINGS!

Not only that... But, when I'm prepping a show, I have to run up and down the stairs 20 times an hour to get from the stage to the FOH/Mix position. It's a true pain in the ass. PLUS, I have two trick knees. (From hauling stage weights.) After an hour or two, going up and down those steps gets painful! It sounds like a bowl of Rice Crispies! (Snap! Crackle! Pop!)

At least, if you had a tiered design, you could make a compromise between two worlds.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too don't like the stadium seating. Mainly because any theatre I have been in, has had the high back chairs as well and the material being placed at the back of your head kills hearing the surrounds.

And of course the liabilty issue is a biggy. I would think your insurance rate would sky rocket with stadium seating.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: