Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange Shake in 'The Grudge'

Author Topic: Strange Shake in 'The Grudge'
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of my prints of the grudge, #4504 & 4505, have a relatively bad vertical shake during all of reel 2. It is not present in any other reel. When the shaking can be seen on screen, everything runs as normal in each machine (SA-TM's). Gate tension, lubrication, loop sizes, quality of the splices are all normal, no strange noises, and the soundtrack sounds normal in SRD & analog.

I watched 'The Grudge' at another theater and their print did not have this problem. Both of my machines run test loops with normal quality.

Obviously, I have ordered new reels for these prints, but what might have caused this problem?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since only one reel of the feature is affected, it could be a printer or stock problem. Pull the projector aperture and see if you project the actual print film perforations. If they are steady, but the image moves up and down relative to the perfs, the most likely cause is printer unsteadiness. Request a replacement reel. Since a contact printer sprocket is 16 frames in circumference, any movement due to printing usually repeats itself every 16 frames (2/3 second).

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,

The sprocket holes are steady. I've got new reels on the way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: