Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with DTS-6D

Author Topic: Help with DTS-6D
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DTS-6D with a dolby cp55 in a strong x-90 with spa-7 automation.

The problem is that with the same print and disks in a week it will
sometimes go into digital and sometimes not.When it doesn't the disk isn't running at all so this isn't a pulse problem to the cp.
For example one day it will work fine all day.The next day it will kick into digital the first show or two then not the rest & some days it wont work from the first show on.And then if it hasnt started running in digital i'll have to turn it off & on a few times to get it to finally work.(while film is running).

I checked and I have teac drives.I also tried using a lens cleaner that Karen from dts mentioned in a post.I even tried switching to use drives b & c instead of a & b but the problem still happens.I get steady timecode on the reader and on the unit
all the time.On occasion when i come back to check the cp is on format 03 instead of the normal 04.No matter how many times i try i cant get this to happen when i am present so i dont know exactly what happens

So any help as to where else to look would be great.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using an interface card on the back of the CP55, check the jumper settings for format default. I don't remember the settings, verbatim, but changing the jumper may, at least, get the unit to default into 04 instead of 03.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-25-2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the power supply in the 6D is shot, or the SCSI card is loose. In all likelihood it's the PS.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2004 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its probably a dead fan in the P.S. causing the supply to overheat and shut dwn after a show or two so take a look at the back of it with a flashlight and see if its spinning or not. I've replaced just about every fan in the entire western states area in DTS's. If this has been going on for some time the supply has probably gotten pretty toasted inside(sometimes this happens.... literally)and you should replace the whole thing with a 250 watt or larger AT style supply.

What ever you do be sure to ignore DTS tech service note that states the fan cannot be replaced and you must order their 300 dollar plus power supply, that service note is a joke! A new fan is a cinch to install when you remove the top from the power supply. You can also blow out the dust while you're at it..... just don't use excessive air pressure on it.

If you have a hard time finding a new AT style supply for it go buy an old 486 computer at a re-sale shop that has a 250 to 300 watt supply in it. You can usually get these old PC's for less than 20 bucks so then you have replacement supply for the 6D for cheap! I know of at least a couple dozen players in the field that have been running on re-sale shop power supplies for at least several years now. Or perhaps Daryl knows where thay can be bought new these days.....

Mark @ CLACO

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 09:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last batch of 50 I bought were ordered from Tech Data, but they don't sell directly to the public so you'd have to find a computer store that deals with them (good ones do). 230 watt AT supplies were $40 CDN each.

CDW sells them:
230 watt ($27)

Amazon also has them. They might charge less for shipping:
230 watt ($28)

If you buy a bunch at once I don't really think it's worth the time it takes to replace the $8 fan in them, especially if they've gone for very long without good cooling. If you do decide to just replace the fan, make sure you inspect the caps and replace if necessary.

230 watts is sufficient since the Teac CD-516S runs on 9 watts, leaving lots O' power for the rest of the hardware.

Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 10-26-2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sound to me like you might have two separate problems.

The default logic board jumper setting (CP55) may be one.

My thoughts below are if the 6D does not go into digital sometimes (or stops mid-film), but otherwise appears to be ready for operation.

I had similar problems with my 6D and after putting in the DTS 6D drive-upgrade kit, they went away. The kit cost around $500, besides the drives, it replaces the timecode chip (current is V1.46 or newer) and the SCSI board. I believe that the kit is only a package deal so if you don't need the drives, you've got some expensive spares.
Also another problem that I've seen seems to be caused by having mismatched or non standard CD Rom drives. I think it can wig out the SCSI board.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-26-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
What ever you do be sure to ignore DTS tech service note that states the fan cannot be replaced and you must order their 300 dollar plus power supply, that service note is a joke! A new fan is a cinch to install when you remove the top from the power supply.
I think the reason for that recommendation is that most people won't look for leaking caps, baked regulators, etc. and cluelessly replace the fan and then wonder why the power supply destroyed half, or all, of the electronics connected to it.

If they still want $300 for the supplies I should see about supplying them to DTS. Surely, I hope, the can't be marking them up by 900%.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 02:17 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the power supply fan is working then I'd suspect RAM. Bad RAM will sometimes cause the DTS software to freeze preventing digital playback but leave the Timecode board active registering valid timecode on the LEDs.

If you can get your hands on an ISA VGA video card and plug the unit into a monitor you'll be able to see if the CD-ROM drives are loading properly which would pin point any SCSI problems.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked a 250 watt power supply at Compusa.It was only 20 bucks.So I gonna throw it in next time I work and see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-28-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they still want $300 for the supplies I should see about supplying them to DTS. Surely, I hope, the can't be marking them up by 900%.

They do! Its got to be the biggest rip off in the film exhibition industry excepting the films themselves [Eek!] .

I agree on checking the caps and regulators on older supplys. If one has a qualified tech handle it for them there should not ba a problem, otherwise proceed at your own risk. If you're not technical inclined but tinker with computers substituting a new supply is the safest way to go.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-28-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's insane!

I agree, don't play if you don't know. If you do know though, don't play if it's not worth the time involved.

Stephen, it was an AT supply right? I haven't seen too many new 250 watt AT supplies lately. Lots of ATX ones though.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, yes it was a AT power supply compatible with older intel pentiums and amd processors.It looks just looks the CDW one you mentioned and has all the same connectors.It was the compusa brand and they only had a few and the boxes look like they have been around awhile.I let you know how it works out.

I dont see why you would just replace the fan when a whole new power supply is only $20 to $30.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 10-29-2004 01:12 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BLACK WIRES TOGETHER!!!

Connecting PS2 (AT) style power connectors to main board in the wrong position (swapped) has been known to make bad things happen. [Eek!]

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put the new power supply in this morning with no problems.Everything ran fine all day.So hopefully the PS was the problem and everything will run fine now.

Thanks again guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: