Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Information for a new projectionist, anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Information for a new projectionist, anyone?
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 04:29 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an interview Saturday which went very well, and pending a background check I'm going to be starting in the booth probably next week. We're a busy 25 screen theatre, so projection training usually covers mainly threading prints, moving prints, and cleaning projectors. I would like, however, to eventually replace one of the members of our film building team which recently quit. Obviously I'll need to demonstrate some knowledge of what I'm doing beyond what everyone and their wet dog in the building already knows. So I was wondering if anyone here knows of some good sources of information for a new projectionist. Web sites, books, anything at all would be appreciated. I figured this would be the forum to ask in, since you all seem pretty well educated and you must've learned it somewhere [eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David.
Welcome to the fray!
Two good books to start with are the
"SMPTE Motion Picture Projection and Theatre Presentation Manual" It's a bit long in the tooth now but still a good read. Then there's the British equivalent, the
"BKSTS Motion Picture Presentation Manual"
This is a bit more up to date than the SMPTE one.
"The Complete Projectionist" 1944 by R. Howard Cricks F.R.P.S has good historical stuff.
"Basic Motion Picture Technology" by Bernard Happe is a good all rounder in regards to film technology.
Any projection equipment manual you can find will help you out if the bookshelf's bare.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 07:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the training offered in this industry is rather lacking. Some chains do offer a bit of formal training--I know of at least one small chain that has a complete projection setup for training purposes in their offices--but usually it's simply done on the job so one person can show the next how to make the same mistakes.

I would suggest reading the Tips section here on F-T and also start flipping page by page through the Film Handler's Forum and read the threads that pertain to your areas of interest. That would be a good place to start.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 08:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happé is long out of print, sadly. The last edition was published in 1978, meaning that all the technology which has appeared in your projection box during the last two and a half decades (e.g. polyester film and digital sound) won't be covered. But I do agree that it's an excellent reference book to have on the shelf. There are some second-hand copies floating around on Amazon at the moment, though they're not particularly good value, IMHO.

I think that a revised version could do quite well - though if Happé is to do the revising, it would have to be via a seance!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak has lots of good tutorial information about film technology on its website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/index.jhtml

quote:
Support
Interactive Tools

People & Planet

KODAK IMAGECARE Program

Education & Training

Technical Information

Laboratories Directory

Transfer Facilities Directory

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/index.jhtml

quote:
Publications
In Camera

In Camera On Campus

On Filmmaking

On Film Interviews

Projection Pointers

Technical Information Bulletins

H-24 Processing Manual

Kodak News—Product Change Notices U.S. Only

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/?id=0.1.4.11&lc=en

quote:

Caring About Composition: Movie Audiences Deserve To See the Entire Film ( 41 KB)
Conquering Contrast Killers ( 38 KB)
Don't be in the Dark about Measuring Screen Luminance ( 34 KB)
Electronic Cinema What Did YOU See? ( 37 KB)
Heat Damage To Prints: Part 1 ( 35 KB)
Heat Damage To Prints: Part 2 ( 35 KB)
Help for Projector Dusting ( 33 KB)
Help for Static Cling ( 33 KB)
In the Splendor of 70mm: Part 1 ( 33 KB)
In the Splendor of 70mm: Part 2 ( 41 KB)
Let There Be Light ( 35 KB)
Platter Patter ( 38 KB)
Potential Sources of Problems in Your Projection Booth ( 34 KB)
Scope and Flat Apertures ( 67 KB)
The Seven Deadly Sins of Projection ( 37 KB)
Shedding Light on Screen Luminance Meters ( 38 KB)
SMPTE - Setting the Standards ( 37 KB)

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/h1/index.shtml

quote:
Preface
Introduction
Selecting Your Films
Getting The Most From Your Films
Dealing With A Laboratory
Appendix
Glossary
Index's

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h2/

quote:
Introduction

Camera Films

Filter Information

Tips & Techniques

Formats & Packaging

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students/handbook/index.jhtml?id=0.1.4.9.6&lc=en

quote:
The Kodak Worldwide Student Program gratefully acknowledges the contributions of Ryerson Polytechnic University's Digital Media Projects Office in association with The Kodak Worldwide Student Program for the publication of The Student Filmmaker's Handbook.

Introduction
Which Film Should I Use?
Anatomy of a Data Sheet
Sensitometric and Image-Structure Data
Physical Characteristics
Storage of Raw and Exposed Film
How do I know I'm ordering the right film?
Cores and Spools
Winding
Perforations
Film Identification
Filtration
Motion Picture Sound Recording
Projection
Dealing with a Motion Picture Laboratory
Laboratory Operations
Marketing a Film
Distribution and Promotion
Glossary of Motion Picture Terms

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys very very much.

I am starting this saturday up in the booth, I'll be getting training from a former GM and long-time projectionist on saturday, then the training is taken over on monday and wednesday by a couple of projectionists with a modest amount of experience. Should be a great deal of fun, we've had a lot of problems with print scratches and poorly cleaned projectors so hopefully i'll be able to succeed where some of my predecessors have not done quite as well. Which isn't to say we dont have good projectionists too, but they are becoming a rarity indeed.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 04:51 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David!

Three things that really helped me out when I had nobody to train from:

1. Get a complete set of manuals for all the projection equipment your booth uses. These can really be a life-saver if studied on your spare time and regularly consulted when you spot something you don't understand, not to mentioned needed for part-ordering.

2. Ask the experts around here when mysterious problems come up. Chances are one or two others here will have dealt with the problem before or can direct you on troubleshooting.

3. Soak up knowledge like a sponge from whomever is the most experienced in your booth. Ask them questions about scenarios you know you couldn't handle if they came up (and make sure they are correct by comparing suggestions on film-tech). That to me is always the sign of a good projectionist in training is when they anticipate problems by asking questions on procedures for dealing with them.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've caught myself giving the two pearls of wisdom...
"If it looks like a bad idea, it probably is."
Projection is just like any other technical job. It takes common sence most of the time. Think with a logical, clear head, and you'll be just fine.
And remember showmanship! Some of your counterparts will argue with you about it and give you crap for it, but attention to every detail and carring about what kind of show you put on is really the essence of a good projectionist.

And clean clean clean! Learn how to clean and maintain your equipment and you'll have fewer emergencies and, if you're all good at threading, now scratched prints.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I will give you the same advice I got when I looked here for the same thing. Visit film-tech often and learn as much as you can from these guys. Like some of the other guys said, unfortunately there isn't a lot of up to date literature on projection so read manuals. I learned a lot from manuals. If you are even somewhat mechanical you should be able to understand them.

I agree with Dominic. Showmanship, shomanship, showmanship. I can't think of anything that bothers me more than when I got to a cinema and I can see the soundtrack being projected on the wall, a dirty film print, out of frame/focus, bad sound.

When I worked as a projectionist I would go in every night thinking I wanted to be the best projectionist around. If you shoot for that you will always have something to achieve. It should keep you from getting complacant about your job and doing poorly.

A true sign of a good projectionist is when people can't even tell when you are there. They should be able to watch a movie and not even think about the fact that there is someone up there running the film (e.g. This means pictures coming up in frame and focus when the picture hits the screen)

Good luck and I am sure you will do fine.

Josh

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 02:08 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
... but usually it's simply done on the job so one person can show the next how to make the same mistakes
Thats exactly how I started out.

Film-tech is just wonderful, I have learned so much from here.

Tiny example - I annoy my mentor by refusing to put masking tape on the tails, which is what he's always done, and his mentor before him, and the chap before him etc etc etc... Someone on here wrote something like projectors were made to show film, not masking tape, and that seemed like excellent advice.

Its all the little things that keep adding up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-27-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've said this before, but I've learned so much just by working in a wide variety of booths with many different people (most of them very talented, some of them idiots) and a wide variety of equipment. I don't know what kinds of venues show film in your area, but I'd strongly suggest finding them (check colleges, live theatres that may occasionally run film, smaller/older theatres, etc.) and getting your contact information to them (preferably by knowing their regular operators). Eventually, these hole-in-the-wall venues will have trouble finding someone to run a show and they will call you. These sorts of jobs don't usually pay much considering the time involved, but they're usually fun and/or interesting and they give you a chance to work with all picture and sound formats as well as 16mm and video. Plus, you'll meet some interesting people and hopefully learn something from them.

There's much more to the job than running lab-new 35mm prints on the "Strong package" or the "Christie package" at a newly built first-run gigaplex.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-27-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
A true sign of a good projectionist is when people can't even tell when you are there. They should be able to watch a movie and not even think about the fact that there is someone up there running the film (e.g. This means pictures coming up in frame and focus when the picture hits the screen)

A good projectionist is the "Unseen Showman". [thumbsup]

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget all the books - just read every post in the main threads on this board (especially those concerning disasters and "film done right") and you'll have quite an education.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again thanks for all the help guys. I've been reading and reading non-stop the last few days. I had the opportunity last thursday night(early early morning) to help clean up the projectors so I got to learn how to take a few things apart and what a few things were. I also managed to get another training shift on tuesday night from a manager who has spent a ton of time in projection.

You can also look forward to some questions coming from my corner soon. It appears there are some scratches that supposedly no one(including our engineering crew hired by our corporate office) can determine the cause of. Hopefully film-tech will be able to shed some light on them.

Not sure what else to say, I'm pretty excited to get started and learn something new. It'll be interesting to see what things I can do with the support of film-tech. It appears there is a lot of knowledge here which I plan on taking advantage of. Most of the threads in this forum don't make a great deal of sense to me, which I suppose will change as soon as I've had a chance to work up in the booth, so you can definately look forward to a lot of questions that'll probably annoy you.

Oh and John, thanks for the links, and for writing the articles. I thought I had seen that mug somewhere...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-28-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
A true sign of a good projectionist is when people can't even tell when you are there.
Now I know why I used to get paged or called on my cell all the time, wondering why I wasn't at work, even though I'd been in the booth for 8 or more hours already.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: