Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DVD player with latching power button needed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD player with latching power button needed
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of an inexpensive DVD player with a good ol' fashioned latching power button? I need to do an interface at a theater with the projector automation to initialize "play", and by far the easiest way to accomplish it without wasting tons of money on AMX-type systems is to utilize a player that when power is applied, it is already "powered on" and doesn't have to have it's power button pushed.

(In other words, if you have a DVD in your player and you pull the power cord out of the outlet, wait several seconds and plug it back in...does it start playing the disc, or do you have to hit the power button? Looking for a unit that will just start playing the disc.)

Must be able to play DVD-R discs. AC3 decoding and other features not needed. Play upon seeing power, composite video output and 2 channel audio is all that is needed.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-19-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I lost?

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Cheap The Mizuda 2023X and this has the old power button that stays in , if powered from the wall ....which do have set up so when powered from the wall it will start by itself .. I'm sure you will have something similar in the US

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2002/mizuda.shtml

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-19-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And hopefully the DVD placed therein is authored to directly play and not go to a menu page.

[ 10-20-2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I haven't looked at many of the newest models, but most of the incredibly cheap Apex players have a power button like the one you are looking for.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad there is the venerable Pioneer V7400 that is used in just about every kiosk around the planet.

I'm betting it has a play disc upon power up feature.

Pioneer V7400

My personal favorite industrial DVD player, the MarantzPro PMD-930 has the conventional power switch and the "auto play" feature as well (and can be controlled via RS-232 and so forth). It will output S-Video, Composite and Component simultaneously.

MarantzPro PMD-930

It also plays any region DVD too.

Steve

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 06:19 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's on the right track. We use that Pioneer DVD player for our preshow program. When you hit power, it loads the disc. It should serve thy master well... except for the excruciating depth on that mother. [Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no guys. There will be no one there to press the power button. It must turn on all by itself and start playing when a switched AC power outlet feeds it juice. (The DVDs will not have a menu.) There is no AMX or computer system, and as such there is no need for it. Simple is better.

$650 for a player is also way out of the ballpark for what this is going to be used for. I found a $250 solution, but will also check out the Apex players.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I just returned from Wal*Mart and can confirm that the $38.76 Apex AD-11101 does have a good ole' latching mechanical on/off switch and it does 'power up' when plugged in with the switch 'on'. I tried it myself. [Smile]

Don't know anything else about its functions, since it wasn't hooked up to a tv. They had a -big- stack of them, for Christmas sales, I suppose. They -weren't- located with the other DVD players, and had apparently just arrived .. they were on a rack out it the aisle in 'front' of the electronics/photo area, along with other Christmas electronics stuff, like cheap keyboards, TV's and such. (I know layout varies from store to store.)

Ron Yost

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 07:43 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the WalMart Apex will do what you're talking about. I bought one for my booth as well, for just $38.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 08:46 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just installed 2 Toshiba sd-2810sy DVD's to play sound for talkie slides.
They were modified to power on and off with panalogic automation via serial connection.

They work well , they are always off until automation trigger powers them up , plays , stops and then powers them off.

I assume you would be able to modify a similar model over there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2004 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron or Bill, can you confirm if the Apex player can play a DVD-R disc?

I think too many people here are missing the point and looking for overly complicated (read: prone to fail) solutions for a simple issue. How many times has that good ol' automation-switched slide outlet failed to provide power to the slide projector between shows? 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it works perfectly. I am doing the same thing, but with a DVD player. I just need the thing to start playing the disc when it sees power from the switched outlet. It is for a "welcome" intro snipe, that's all. The outlet is cued to start 30ish seconds before the first trailer hits the screen. (Video input switching on the video projector is being handled another way.) It's simple, it works, it's mega-cheap and most importantly, it won't fail.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-20-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The specs for my old Apex AD-600 listed DVD-R. Same with the late model Apex my school's anime club uses for screening R2 DVDs. A quick check here of the specs for all Apex models indicates 43 out of 43 can play DVD-Rs. They might be a bit picky about the choice of DVD-R blanks though. There's a "don't play" list sorted by blank media brand name. Looks like the machines might puke on some of the no-name brands.

[Edit to check for DVD-R instead of CD-R. Still trippy from all the NyQuil. [Big Grin] ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean DVD-Rs?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 04:05 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the latest model, but have used dvd-r media in other Apex machines without any problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: