Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Splicer ID and Use

Author Topic: Splicer ID and Use
Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a goofy looking splicer (not a gillotine type) it has the spool of tape mounted horizontly on the upper left hand corner of the face of the unit. The tape appears to be clear with large yellow H's on it. There is a spring loaded lever sticking up in the air with a block of plastic on it. The block of plastic has holes in the bottom of it. The lever can be pushed down and lowers the plastic block on to the splicing surface. I checked all the splicers in the "MANUALS" and don't see anything like this. It says it was made by "Filmequip". any help would be appreciated.... Jim

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-18-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is commonly known as an 'editor's block' or 'editor's splicer'. As you may guess, many film editors use such a beast to cut their film projects with.

They use perforated splicing tape and come in two flavors: one with a straight vertical cutting blade for cutting picture and another with an angled blade for cutting mag soundtrack stock.

-

-Aaron

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2004 01:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna say it was made by Rivas splicer corp. Hollywood Film Company still manufactures such a splicer.

Steve

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 02:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like this kind of splicer. i have both a straight cut and a diagonal cut version, like aaron's picture. only mine have thicker tampers with razor blades on them, not serrated like in the picture. i've only seen the serrated tamper on another brand (hollywood, i think), which doesn't align the tape as well. if you have the serrated tamper, it's best imo to cut the tape first before laying it on the splicer so you don't get a horrid jagged line running through the frame. makes it easier to peel cleanly as well. actually, i pre-cut the tape anyways since i don't make 4-perf splices.

even though it takes marginally more time and the tape is more expensive, i prefer this style of splicer.

carl

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it takes less than 2 seconds for a seasoned editor to make a splice with one of those!! Thats alot faster than you can make one with a well maintained Neumade. That version with the serrated edge is detested by most editors.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-19-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a number of years working in feature post production and I don't remember ever seeing editors use the diagonal splicer for sound though they were available if they wanted them; it was all just straight cut. Mag of course was spliced with the very strong white tape, single sided. Thus, straight cut splicers were often equipped with a holder for a 2nd roll of tape.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-19-2004 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hudsen Photo still makes 35mm "splice tabs" that kinda look like a band-aid. So, instead of cutting a roll of pre-perf tape into strips, they are already for you.

I've found that those that like this sort of splicer are sticklers too about no little "chads" coming up too.

Steve

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn right i'm a stickler for no chads!

carl

Webster Colcord
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Webster Colcord   Author's Homepage   Email Webster Colcord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also do a splice which covers only one perf on either side of the splice, which you can't do with a guillotine. There are a few out there made in the last 10 years which are a vast improvement over the standard black model, they have a highly polished surface on the top with grooves at every four perfs, allowing you to see the frame line better. Here's a picture-

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: