Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wiring into sound system (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wiring into sound system
Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to be running a film that requires a dvd projector I belive that it is the XL100 from Christie the unit has rca cables. The sound system for that side runs off a dolby cp55. The amps that we use have no rca inputs its some kins of 3 pronged round plug. The amps i belive as Ashly amps not sure of the model number I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to wire this to run atleast on the front main speakers through the amps? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Take your DVD left and right output and go into the non-sync inputs of the CP55. You don't wanna mess with them freaky 3 pronged thingamajigs!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 11:14 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is probably a better way but you could always hook up the DVD player to the Non-sync on your CP.

Brad and I must have been typing at the same time. [Smile]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 06:48 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you run film through a DVD player?

Rick

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not film its a dvd disc. We are trying to keep the non sync music for before the show. Is there anyway possible to use say the magnetic sound inputs?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be wired to either the aux or the mag inputs
If the dvd is just a L and R out then connect to those channels if you have a 5.1 out then connect to appropriate inputs
Is there by chance a SRA5 connected to the cp55?

Brandon Lokesak
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Brandon Lokesak   Email Brandon Lokesak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I dont believe that there is a SRA5 connected to the CP55. If I do wire into the mag. input will it run off the amps then? I dont know if you can answer that with out seeing the setup here. Thanks for all the help guys.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2004 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you connect to the mag input it will feed the poweramps as labled
remmeber that the input level must be set internally on the cp55 as there are 2 gain settings for the mag sensitivity
The aux inputs if unused are true line level

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Brandon, do you know how to connect an RCA audio cable to the CP55? I'm going to guess you don't since you are not familiar with XLR jacks, so rather than to have this keep going and going, here is the simple answer in the most basic description.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a generic "RCA stereo patch cord". Cut one end off. Strip about 1.5 inches of the shielding from one of the wires. Inside you will find tiny wires surrounding another wire inside it, in it's own shield. Pull the surrounding wires together and away from the internal wire. Now strip about 1/2 inch from that internal wire. Repeat for the other wire.

Connect the left inside wire (on Radio Shack cables this is denoted by the white connector) to the AUX L screw terminal. Connect the right inside wire (red) to the AUX R screw terminal. Assuming you are only feeding the system left and right, you are done. If you have a 5.1 output, then get another stereo wire and use one side of it to connect the center output of the DVD player to AUX C and the other side to pick one of the surround channels from the DVD player and connect it to the AUX S terminal. Now you're not done yet...connect all of the outer wires and tie them to the screw terminal that looks like an upside down triangle made up of 3 horizontal lines. NOW you are done. (No subwoofer or split surrounds can be easily had from a generic CP55 unless it has been modified.)

Don't use the MAG input. It will only complicate things more. Just use the AUX inputs.

I am recommending you follow this procedure, because although you could run the signal through the non-sync inputs to achieve matrix decoding, you may find that you have distortion in the sound or have to make internal adjustments to the cards, and then you could end up having to make more adjustments to get your normal non-sync back. This is the simplest way without fear of screwing things up.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-16-2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why pick only one surround channel? You could also tie the 2 together to go into the one S input of the CP55, provided you are in stereo surround mode. That wouldn't give you stereo surround either, but at least nothing is "missing". Easier of course would be to play the disc in "Dolby Surround" and just use one of the 2 then identical outputs.

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This brings up a question that I can't seem to find an answer to in the Smart processor manuals. I've had to rig our system for input from DVD players several times in the past, and usually I just force the renters to bring a mixer, and I hook the master outs directly to the XLR-ins on our Left-Right amp, but there has been the occasion (usually with my own stuff, just because I like to be difficult) where I've wired the amps to receive a 6-channel mix. This is usually done in my jury-rigged way (I own one 4-channel mixer and one stereo compressor/limiter with level controls, and have a complicated rigging that routes the 5.1 analog outputs from the DVD player through these devices and to the amps, just so I can control the output level- I always have great fear of blowing the speakers) which is a big pain in the vrump.

It would, of course, be much easier if I hooked it up to the Digital input barrier strip terminal on our Smart Mod V, but I have no idea what the maximum input voltage is, as this information is not in the manual we have. I know that the DVD player I have (and most others if I'm not mistaken) output at 2-volts line level.

Anybody know what the input voltage needs to be in order to avoid overloading the processor?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-16-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar is the man to ask.
There is one little detail problem with your custom hookup though: you bypass the house EQ in the sound processor if you go directly into the amps.

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know- I usually make my own (limited) EQ adjustments via the mixer, though even when turning the low end all the way down, the sound in the house still has way too much bass, which, naturally, limits the level I can set it at.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mod v is about 300-700mv close to standard comercial home audio depending on the digital/mag input card individual channel trims

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-16-2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many good mixing boards that have Lo-Z/balanced inputs don't care if the connections to it are balanced or not.

Just make sure your connections are solid, your shield is grounded and the phantom power is OFF.

I have hooked many external devices into my Mod II B. If you take the time to do things right, I dont' see why it wouldn't work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: