Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Softening old, brittle print

Author Topic: Softening old, brittle print
Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has had this old, silent 16mm print of a Felix the Cat cartoon in his basement for at least 40-50 years. Naturally, from sitting around for the last few decades, the print is very dry and brittle.

He wants to soften it up, splice a few chunks that have broken off back together, and sell it. But, what do you guys think would be the best way to go about that? I can take it to work and spritz some Film Guard on it, but how much should I use- a simple spray, or, considering its age, will I have to soak it?

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hardly worth the effort. Old, silent 16mm films are practically worthless. So many Felix the Cat cartoons were made that the film isn't really going to fetch anything from a collector, even if it's in good condition. Brad will surely chime in, as will others, that you don't soak things in Film Guard. It's designed to be applied in a thin, even coat either by a cleaner or VERY sparingly with a soft cloth. Do it several times, allowing the film to relax between each application. It's a wonderful product, but soaking your film in it wouldn't be using it the way it was designed to be utilized.

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nonetheless, I still want to do it, just as a personal project.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2004 08:20 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FilmGuard will certainly help. I've got some old 16mm stuff that I've grown fond of over the years myself. Use the FG sparingly and apply it in multiple coats and it will also clean the print. You'll be surprised at how much gunk comes off that old film. I wish you well with it. [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dropped some acetate and polyester FG for a week and there was no softening. I would think that a solvent that would soften would almost instantly after make it a sticky mess.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a sticky mess drop some tri-acetate film in acetone. No, Film Guard, Film Renew, Vita FIlm, etc are not base solvents, but they act as surfectants to remove dirt, and from my experience can re-moisturize dry acetate base film. You won't get a sticky mess, but hopefully you will relax film curl and make it more pliable.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 12:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that camphor is sometimes used in film treatment formulae to replasticize film base. It was a commonly used plastizer for cellulose nitrate film.

ScreenSound Tutorial

quote:
Cellulose nitrate was manufactured using cotton linters, a by-product of the cotton industry, that were reacted with a mixture of nitric and sulphuric acids. The resultant polymer was dissolved in solvents, chemicals - such as camphor - added to improve the polymers properties and then "cast" on a highly polished flat bed. This produced a thin layer of polymer in solution. The residual solvents evaporated leaving a thin flexible plastic film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: