Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo JS-200 Processor Problem

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo JS-200 Processor Problem
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our unit is starting to act up. Maybe somebody can offer me a suggestion as to what's wrong with it. Lately, the Format Module doesn't kick back into the NSYN mode. That isn't a real big problem. However, manually pushing the NSYNC button doesn't trigger it either. The major problem is that since this starting happening, the surrounds are not operating during the film. If I pull out the Format Module (JFM-20B) and place it back in line the surround is activated, and remains activated during the entire run. What could be defective, the Format Module or Surround/Eq board?? We have an Ultra-Stereo JS-205/295 in the other auditorium. I'd swap out the Format Module and or Surround/Eq board, but they are different #s (JFM-20C,and 2SE-20B1)The UltraStereo JS-200 has JFM-20B inside it. I believe the Surround/EQ is different too. Any suggestions???? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The format cards are probably the most often failed cards that USL produces. I would call Clint at USL and run your problem by him though just to make sure but seems that it would be where it lies.....

Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably the format Card as Mark suggests. I have also had that card do similar things when the automation would want to send a continuous pulse. In that case it would get stuck in NSYNC and you could not change it to any other format.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-05-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I believe you will find that the power supply module starts to fail (bad bypass button) and that cuases your problems. Observe if all the LEDs on the PS are on. Press the bypass button a couple of times and see if that changes anything...it probably does. In that case, you may have to change that module or bridge the bypass button.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 09:57 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above, we have had some of the format cards go out in our company. It's one of the first cards (besides the PS) to "act up."

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I called UltraStereo and was informed that the Format Module relays are the problem. I have a loaner arriving tomorrow. Common problem as everybody has stated.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool you got a fix...but take a look (unless they told you to check already) at the power supply module. Are both red lights illuminated the the green light as well? If one of those Red lights are out, power supply. That solves 90% of our problems, we have 20 of those processors running in our theatre.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-05-2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good idea to take a quick look at all of the USL processors in your chain. If any of the Power Supply Modules still have the "Backup Power" Button they should be removed and the two sets of solder pads closest to the front of the module should be jumpered as though the switch were in there in its normal position. These switches will more than likely eventually fail than not. I wish I had a buck for each one of those switches I've bypassed in the last 12 years.... I might be able to retire!

Mark @ CLACO

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2004 12:57 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have changed out 5 power supplies in these things in the past 6 months, but I guess after 7 years it happens. The ones we get as a replacement have the backup power supply switch taken out and the hole is just covered. I'm guessing whoever made these (or repaired them) fixed that problem?

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2004 04:37 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the bypass switching take place then?I mean if one has a bypass supply connected at the +/- 15V terminals at the backboard then how does that supply kick in if the main PS fails?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Manuals section for a complete explanation of this. But, here's how I'm taught it works. The processor has two internal power supplies, and if both fail...the processor will switch to Bypass mode (only if you have a power supply connected to the Emergency Power jack on the back of the power supply). You can connect your own Standby Power supply to the back (again, check the manual for the proper specs for that), and if the LED lights up, you can switch over to that power supply for backup.

Michael Wilkinson
The Entertainment King of Colusa and Beyond

- posted 11-30-2004 03:14 AM      Profile for Michael Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JS 200 problem or not?
I have a JS 200 series processor also.
I'm not sure if my problem is with this processor...but here it is:
On occasion-and I mean occasion-not predictable at all... I get low level static noise through the front channel speakers. I can't tell if the surrounds are affected as the static never lasts long enough to listen to them specifically. It sounds like FM static. This may happen for a few short bursts over the course of a few minutes and then I won't catch it again for a week or two. The static has been heard in DTS and Non Sync modes. The static is never synchonous with anything such as lamp strikes etc.
The rack also has the following components:
DTS 6D
DTS ES
USL XTA 3 CHANNEL X-OVER
USL CM 80 MONITOR
STAND BY POWER SUP +/-15V
Does anyone have any suggestions? [Confused]
Thank You
-Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: