Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lab Production Problems

Author Topic: Lab Production Problems
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2004 12:02 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a note with my print of "Woman Thou Art Loosed" that stated the following:
quote:
Due to production error, your print of Woman Thou Art Loosed may have base side of the film facing out. Please note this while building up the print.

We apologize for inconvenience this has caused your theatre.

My questions are:

1. What kind of problems would I see / have? Bad focus?
2. What good would it to "note" it? If you are careful during building, then you should be ok.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-03-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that they meant that the print (or some reels) was printed so that correct orientation requires it to run with the emulsion side towards the lens rather than towards the lamp? If so it will play ok but there will be a big focus jump between it and normally oriented material. It would dull the high end off analog sound and might prevent successfull SR∙D or SDDS playback, particularly the latter. DTS would probably read ok.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could be that they wound the film onto the reel with the base side out. It seems to me that they'd be more likely to send a note for this kind of problem, rather than a different printing technique like Steve mentioned. Sad, but that's what they'd make me expect!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably true. Odd that a warning is required. Film can be wound on a reel any one of 4 different ways. Certainly tails-out often comes either way all the time. Since heads-out emulsion-out is an industry standard and emulsion-in is recommended by tests (or at least was during acetate days) no one ought to be confused by it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-05-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "standard" emulsion position for 35mm release prints specified by SMPTE 194-2002 is with the emulsion toward the lamp:

quote:
2.1 The photographic emulsion shall be on the side of the film which faces away from the projector
lens. The projectable image area is specified in SMPTE 195.

A 35mm print with the correct emulsion orientation will "read" correctly through the emulsion side.

Incorrect emulsion orientation could have been caused by printing the negative through the base -- this results in some loss of sharpness. And the incorrect orientation will need to be refocused relative to the other parts of the print having the correct orientation.

Incorrect emulsion orientation cannot be corrected.

Simple winding orientation can be reversed by rewinding the print.

quote: Steve Kraus
Since heads-out emulsion-out is an industry standard and emulsion-in is recommended by tests (or at least was during acetate days) no one ought to be confused by it.

"Heads-out emulsion-out" is NOT an "industry standard", but it is the most common practice, especially for labs that use "loop" type printers. We've discussed the emulsion-in recommendation of SMPTE Recommended Practice RP 39, which definitely helps the focus stability of triacetate prints.

[ 10-05-2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to imagine that this really means that the print was produced with incorrect geometry (i.e. requiring base towards the lamp). The note that Paul quotes from seems to indicate that the entire copy is the same. As different reels are usually printed on different printers, I can't understand a mistake of this type occurring. (Though I admit anything is possible).

Seems more likely that this is the lesser sin of incorrect orientation on the spool. In which case, it ought to be obvious when you build the print, and a warning shouldn't be necessary: but surely it is better practice for the lab to alert the projectionist rather than leave the careful projectionist discover the problem all over again, and the slapdash one to get into trouble.

Better still to correct it in the lab of course - but time is always the bugbear, and rewinding however many reels and copies would probably have resulted in late delivery. Can't win!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2004 07:09 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Paul, are you going to keep us in suspense? [Wink]

Was it winding orientation, or is the emulsion actually on the wrong side? (or neither, given the "may")

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From Technicolor:
quote:
There seems to be some confusion on the web-site about the meaning of the note included in "Woman Thou Art Loosed." Prints are always shipped from Technicolor emulsion out. This title was base out. Because this varied from the norm, we just wanted to include a note that clarified the issue. It seems to have created more confusion than anything else. Nothing unusual about the prints, just wound the "wrong" way.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-06-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they shipped it the right way [Big Grin]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-06-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The majority of the prints I get come this way... mostly from Technicolor Rome.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the foot of tape they're using to secure heads nowadays, I've sometimes opened up a can and thought that the print had been wound base side out, and the head IDs were showing... [Roll Eyes]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But you haven't had a single leader be loose and unraveled inside the can either, have you? [Cool]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
But you haven't had a single leader be loose and unraveled inside the can either, have you?
Touche, my rants on that tape are dying since they finally started using it, in whatever incarnation. [Smile]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-10-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After having to deal with an bollywood movie on thursday, I can attest to this. Although it would have been nice if they at least reattached the leaders.

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: