Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cyan again, naturally...

Author Topic: Cyan again, naturally...
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DreamWorks is currently sending out flyers that state their cyan declatation: "Surviving Christmas" will be DreamWorks second cyan analog soundtrack release. AND, that every subsequent film thereafter will also by cyan.

"Surviving Christmas" comes out on October 22, and it will be, so you are not surprised, a 60% cyan and 40% tradititonal release, with domestic prints being shipped at random. DreamWorks will increase their Cyan percentages as they feel more comfortable with the red-light reader penetration.

That is the fourth studio to make it official, and yes I still count MGM as a separate studio (until the dust settles and we see how the Sony purchase shakes out). That's four out of ten, or three out of nine, depending on how you look at it. Either way, our batting average is going up.

More soon.

Yours, Ted

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-30-2004 04:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted,

I believe your Disney status is not entirely correct...other than Mr. 3000...has Disney declared that any of their future releases are going to be in cyan? If so, which titles?

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-30-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney suggested that they may switch to 100% cyan come January, but that was before (and during) the Mr. 3000 release. I haven't heard anything from them since.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-01-2004 06:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
...has Disney declared that any of their future releases are going to be in cyan? If so, which titles?

Disney has announced that as of January 1, 2005, 100% of their prints WORLDWIDE will use cyan dye analog tracks:

http://www.dyetracks.org/BV-DisneyCanFlyer_July%202004.pdf

quote:
Buena Vista to Make the Switch to the
Environmentally Friendly Cyan Analog Soundtracks
Starting September 17, 2004
On September 17th, 2004, Buena Vista Pictures Distribution will release the Touchstone
Films comedy, Mr. 3000, with cyan dye analog soundtracks. This is the first Buena Vista
release to be printed with the new tracks. Starting on January 1, 2005, all Buena
Vista prints worldwide will have cyan dye analog soundtracks. The new process
offers significant environmental benefits.
To play the new analog soundtracks, your projector must be equipped with a visible
red light analog reader. Although this change does not directly affect playback of the
digital soundtracks, in the event of a digital soundtrack failure, the analog track
will have unacceptable sound without a visible red light reader. You can expect that with a
white light reader the sound will be 12dB lower than the digital track and with an infrared
reader you will have no sound.
If your projectors are not yet equipped with red light analog readers, contact your theatre equipment
dealer as soon as possible to arrange for replacement of your white light or infrared readers.
For further information about analog cyan dye tracks, the environmental benefits, and red light readers,
go to www.dyetracks.org
Note: The analog track is
Cyan in color.
© Disney Enterprises, Inc.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...that doesn't jibe with what I have heard from two Disney people on recent screenings. Mr. 3000 was more of an experiment to test and see how red-reader compliant the world really was....Hence, Ladder-49 is not cyan even though it was released after Mr. 3K.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2004 01:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, here is a snip from the quote above...

quote:
Starting on January 1, 2005, all Buena
Vista prints worldwide will have cyan dye analog soundtracks.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Yes, "Mr. 3000" is the first, but "Ladder 49", "The Incredibles", "National Treasure", etc. will not be cyan. If "Mr. 3000" was a disaster, they may have changed their declaration in their press release, but the odds are good it will stand. So look at Disney titles that come out after January 1, 2005, and you will find your next Disney cyan release. Everything released by the mouse between "Mr. 3000" and January 1 will be traditionally applicated analog soundtracks.

Yours, Ted

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-01-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Disney information sheet and the ShoWest announcement were quite clear about the January 2005 conversion date. I've heard of no problems reported with anyone playing cyan dye prints by any theatre properly equipped with red readers.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-01-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, yeah, I caught the Jan 2005 thing...but again when speaking to Disney people it was not so clear cut.

It was more of using Mr. 3K to find the non-compliant theatres worldwide to see what the true status was. I know it generated several phone calls for some of "our" theatres.

I also have been informed that some theatres pulled Mr. 3K due to lack of red readers in their smaller screens (i.e. they only chose to upgrade the bigger screens and just won't play these films as long). Mind you, I'm NOT endorsing this practice. Just stating what has come up since Mr. 3K.

Here is a kicker...apparantly not all studio screening rooms are red-reader compliant either.

But hey, if they do they do...it just is inconsistant with what I've heard talking to multiple people now.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-01-2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Here is a kicker...apparantly not all studio screening rooms are red-reader compliant either.
That's because the cheap-ass theatre owners haven't got off their wallets and paid for the upgrades yet!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: