Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor film can spacers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Technicolor film can spacers
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice that TES is now putting a spacer into the cans to compensate for the removal of the trailers. But what about the return shipment from that first playdate? The spacer does not get put in until the can is back at the depot, so the film could be damaged during that return trip.

Since they are using plastic canisters as spacers, why not put the trailers INSIDE the plastic canister on the initial shipment? Along with a note reminding the projectionist to please return the canister of course.

The same solution could work if they're using an empty reel, providing there aren't too many trailers in the initial shipment to fit around the core.

(edited to fix a couple of spelling mastakes)

[ 09-30-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that has been 100% implemented yet, but is in the works. It may take another month or two for it to make it's way down to second run as the films play. Still anything to keep the reels from banging around will not only protect the film, but keep the reels from getting damaged as well. It's more work for TES, but I think it's pretty obvious that these guys are really working overtime to make their service better. [thumbsup]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-30-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't the TCD folks go and visit the VFS depots TES bought quite a few years ago and see how they've been doing things right for many years?

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this over the fax machine

-

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy and low cost solution is to sticker the items. Film Can Spacer...do not wind film on this reel...please return with print. Something similar for the plastic film tins. That would cure much of it.

Daryl: What does VFS do?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another useful innovation in the process of being ruined by booth idiots (also known as non-Film-Techers).

Wonder how long it will be before Technicolor just gives up on it?

I hope that note helps, but am not holding my breath.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 03:21 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow [Eek!]

Tech is actually doing something productive. Ill have to remember to be highly protective of their precisely folded cardboard.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a perfect use for all those reels that fall apart when you get the print. There has to be more than 55 of them per week. Use them for spacers.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havn't seen any of those film can spacers...However I did get the memo in the fax machine.
It sure would be nice of ETS would do something. I'm actually dissapointed with their service over TES right now.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen these spacers either. Maybe they aren't hitting first run full force yet?

Brad, (or anyone else for that fact)
Can you post an image of what these spacers look like for those of us who haven't seen one yet?

Thanks!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are simply an empty reel OR a plastic film canister. I haven't seen a cardboard spacer since they announced this new program.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-31-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is simply LAME.
Why don't they depots (both TES and ETS) simply go back to the practice they did (and many indies still do) from the beginning of time until the early 90's: ship films in cans that fit all the reels without any blank space!!!

Nothing pisses me off more than having an 8-reel print ship on 3 cans, when it easily would fit into 2 4-reelers! [Mad]

Before someone chimes in with 'But what about the enclosed trailers?!?', remember that back then trailers were shipped separately, and even TES to this day still ships bagfuls of trailers separate from prints all the time!

...just my .02 [Mad]

-Aaron

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-31-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you know the answer, Aaron: that marketing people have found that trailers enclosed are more likely to play than trailers chasing or seperately shipped. And marketing controls pursestrings.

--jhawk

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, Aaron! Just fill the damned cans.

ETS sometimes ships the trailers in a sealed envelope when the prints come in filled cans. This package accompanies the print, so it isn't likely that they would not be used.

As yet, I too have not encountered spacers in TES cans.

As far as trailers "chasing" the print, all too often they lose the race, as the pack is already completed by the time they arrive.

When it comes to trailers "chasing", I often think of the old addage: "YOUR LACK OF PLANNING DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY FOR ME."

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guy who worked last night tore down our print of 'Cat in the Hat' and left the spacer reel on our bench and was going to send the print out, sans the extra protection. I think some operators are thinking, "Hey! Free reel!"

So far, we've recieved three QC prints from technicolor. Two had empty black reels (the nice ones with the netal hubs), and one had a one-reel container (labeled for the UK release of 'Connie and Carla,' pretty cool actually).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: