Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » difference beteween "latch" and "activated" in relay terms

Author Topic: difference beteween "latch" and "activated" in relay terms
Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Kelmar Deluxe "Custom" Automation unit that I'm trying to familiarize myself with all the ins and outs of. In the manual under relay schedule it tells what each relay does and that it is "LATCHED via" something and "Activated by" something. Can someone explain what the difference is on these terms. Thanks.

By the way I have the manual for this unit and I don't see it in the manuals sections. What would I need to do to submit that.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latched should mean that the relay is closed, (circuit completed) and it stays closed until an event opens it.

Activated probably means that the relay just close's the circuit for a short pulse. An example would be, a relay would just pulse to close a change over. If the relay latched instead, it would continue to keep the change over coil energized, and burn it up in a short time.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 09-27-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

JJ

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As relay(ted) to your Kelmar Automation......

Latched relay = A relay such as the Motor Run and Lamphouse Relay.

Activated Relay = A relay such as the light dimmer up relay which is pulsed momentarily on from the cue detector relay.

I Hope this relay activates your mind so that it helps you latch onto this difficult electronic terminology......

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-27-2004 11:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a strange use of the terminology; it would be much clearer to simply say continuous or momentary.

Usually latching refers to a relay wired so that one of its contacts can energize its own coil, so that a momentary pulse causes the relay to pick up and stay up until such time as a momentary interruption in the power feed causes it to drop out. And then there are the mechanically latching relays with two coils.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! What they said! [Smile]

Your average relay simply closes the contact(s) when you energize the coil. As soon as the coil is de-energized the contacts go back to their "normal" state.

Some relays, however, have a latch built into them. Yes, the contacts stay closed even after the coil is de-energized. In order to get the contacts to open or go back to "normal" state you have to energize ANOTHER coil to release the latch.

You can imagine how it would be unweildly to keep a relay energized for 2 hours or more in order to keep something like a projector motor running for an entire show. A latching relay can solve this problem.

"Latching" is also way to refer to a multi-pole relay where one set of contacts from the energized/closed state is wired in parallel with the switch that closes to energize the coil. This will KEEP the coil energized until the power is removed.

Take a N+1 Pole relay of sufficient spec to control your load. (I'd go a size bigger if I could... Just for luck.) Wire a SPST toggle switch and a SPST/NO pushbutton switch in series to the coil. (And the power source for the coil.) Take the extra contact on the relay and wire it back so that it's in parallel with the SPST/NO pushbutton.

When the toggle switch is closed, then the pushbutton is pressed, the coil will be energized and the contacts will close. Your load will be powered. That extra set of contacts that you wired back to the pushbutton will KEEP power going to the coil as long as the toggle is still closed.

Let's say you had a simple set up that just needed to operate a projector motor and a lamphouse contactor. You'd need a 3-Pole relay that coule handle the load of the projector motor and the lamphouse without burning up. Wire everything up with due care. Use a simple 120v/12v transformer to power your coil. Wire your projector's failsafe in series with the toggle switch. Put a 12v lamp in there if you want to.

Now, you thread your projector and make sure the failsafe is up. (Contatcts closed.) When it's time to start the show, close the toggle switch and press the button. Your machine will run until:

A) The film runs out.
B) The film breaks.
C) You open the "Kill Switch".

This is the exact setup I had on my projector at Mercyhurst before we got the automation system. I had one of those remote starter buttons you get from an auto parts store to turn on the sound. I shaved the sprocket holes off a piece of black leader about 15 feet long. (Only one side.) When the shaved film went through the failsafe, the arm would drop and the projector would coast to a stop with the black film still in the gate.

It looked almost like I had a real automation system... But it was a LOT of work...
Press the START button.
Open the dowser.
Click the sound on.
Focus, etc.
Turn the lights down.
Then PRAY everything held together! [Wink]
Do it all in reverse when the show was over!

You had to check the system frequently! Putting on a show was a lot of work until the automation came!

Be glad you have automation!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Philip Wittlief
"LATCHED via" something and "Activated by" something.
Above is his original question.... you two guys are leading him down another highway all together and it has nothing to do with what he asked!!

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, keeping a momentary action relay energized for two hours is no big deal and is in fact the norm in theatre automation AFAIK. About the only application I can think of ATM for a mechanically latching two coil relay is to hold the changeover control circuit for older Dolby CP's that need a continuous contact to stay on Projector 2, although that is just as likely to be done with a momentary relay wired in an electrically latching configuration (or with a little electronic board that does the same thing).

Note also that the power contactor in the rectifier is also a large momentary relay that stays on for the duration.

But, yes, we are going way OT.

Philip Wittlief
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Philip Wittlief   Author's Homepage   Email Philip Wittlief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An example of what I'm refering to:

K5 HOLD RELAY 4PDT, LATCHES via K6, Activated by K1, stays latched until K6 activates Opens Non-Sync Circuit when latched, provides 12 VAC to POWER relay K12, and K9, K10 and term. 8

The part in bold italics is what I'm trying to fully grasp.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-28-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it could be either. It could be a latching relay or it could be a relay wired-up to latch.

I'm going to guess that it's the first one. It's a latching relay.

Here's how I parse your sentence:

Relay "K1" energizes and causes "K5" to energize, close contacts and latch.
It stays closed until "K6" energizes.
The function of "K5" is to open the non-sync circuit and provide 12 VAC to other components farther down the line.

At the point where I first jumped in, I read other peoples' answers which pretty much answered the question as it was first posed: What is a "latched" relay? Steve and I added more information on different ways a relay could be made to latch and how one might use a latching relay in a real-life situation.

Maybe you're right, Mark, that mine is a case of "too much information". But, my goal was to give enough general information so that the original poster could apply the knowledge to his own situation. Was my answer too difficult to understand?

Steve,

I agree that a relay wired in latching mode is used often to good effect and there are few problems but I meant that the situation CAN BECOME unweildy in some cases. A 3 phase contactor to turn on a lamphouse power supply is OK because you're using a relatively small amount of electricity to control quite a large amount of electricity. If you had a latching relay that used a relatively large amount of electricity to control a small amount, things would be unweildy. (Unless you had a good reason.) Further, if your power fluctuated, the relay could open on you when you didn't want it. If the latching contact got worn out or pitted/burned, the relay wouldn't reliably stay latched.
If any of those situations would cause undesireable results, don't use a relay that's WIRED to latch. Use one that latches itself or find another way around the problem.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K5 HOLD RELAY 4PDT, LATCHES via K6, Activated by K1, stays latched until K6 activates Opens Non-Sync Circuit when latched, provides 12 VAC to POWER relay K12, and K9, K10 and term. 8

That's really ambiguously written, & the kind of thing that makes you go "@%&*!, got to pull out the schematic & look at it!"

Relays in some equipment are implemented be utilized as latched (continuous contact) or momentary, depending on how they're activated, or set up with jumpers, etc.

That description could mean that K5 is momentary, but can be latched by K6. K6 latching function or K5 momentary is activated by K1 (ambiguous). Then it opens again when K6 is activated.

Is there a period missing in there: "...until K6 activates(.) Opens Non-Sync Circuit.." ?

If so, the part beginning "Opens Non-Sync Circut.." does not describe how K5 is latched, but just describes what K5 does.

My "guess & see if it burns up" idea would be that K1 activates K5, & K5 is (automatically) latched by K6. It stays latched until K6 activates.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 07:11 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late reply, but...

K5 HOLD RELAY 4PDT, LATCHES via K6, Activated by K1, stays latched until K6 activates

Here we go then

-

K1 and K6 are normally open relays, and K5 is wired as a latcher.

When you activate K1, relay K5 will latch. (You could also say it activates, but the latching behaviour overrides that terminology). K5 will stay that way until (a) the power fails, or (b) relay K6 is activated.

As was pointed out earlier, the trick to electrically latching a relay is to have a set of normally open contacts on the latching relay able to supply power to the coil. Once that relay is activated, somehow, anyhow, it will stay latched. Placing additional contacts or switches in series with the latch circuit can modify this behaviour, as you have, to effect a release, or to even make the circuit non-latchable.

When I said somehow, anyhow, just above, the activation does not need to be electrical - it could be mechanical. You get latching panel buttons that work exactly the same way.

And those big direct-on-line starters you see on workshop walls, with the green and red buttons - they have the exact same circuit configuation.

Now can someone tell the newbie what an ID frame is?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off...Kelmar does not use latching relays so Randy...Bzzzzt...you lose on your parsing. All Kelmar relays are of the form of 3PDT higher current (KUP14A15-12) and 4PDT lower current (KHAU17A11-12) style...some of the 4PDT relays are slightly higher current than the one I listed.

Here is how to correctly interpret the information.

K5 (a.k.a. the "Hold" relay) is intitially powered (activated) by K1. K5 then self-latches through K6. When K6 is powered (activated) it drops out K5 which in turn drops out K12 (a.k.a the "Power" relay that turns the projector motor on and the xenon lamp) as well as K9 and K10. Terminal 8 also will cease to have 12VAC on it once K5 drops out (no doubt Terminal 8 is used to power a status light on a remote or something to indicate the automation is in a "run" state.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: