Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning Plastic Keepers/Rollers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning Plastic Keepers/Rollers
Mike Miller
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Mike Miller   Email Mike Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

What would be the best way to remove years of crud/build-up and stains from my white plastic keepers and rollers? In my case they are from Strong A5 Carbon Swith payouts. I have removed them all from the payouts for ease of cleaning but am not sure what kind of solvent/cleaner will not cause harm to them as they are plastic.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Miller

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spray them with Mean Green cleaner/degreaser and throw them all in a big bucket of hot water. Scrub with a toothbrush then rinse off with warm water. Then after they dry give 'em a final treatment with Novus #2 Plastic Polish.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that if you soak part of a rag with nail polish remover (acetone based, not non-acetone) a simple wiping taking care of all the grime without having to remove them from their mounts.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-26-2004 02:28 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, acetone and polymers, the perfect mix!

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never had a deformed roller yet. The stuff evaporates almost instantly.

Obviously one wouldn't want to soak them in it, but using a rag soaked with it is harmless.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2004 07:28 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike,

For the white rollers (for me Speco) let me know if any of the above ideas remove the dye stains, but I've a feeling there is no removing that.

In the '70's my father just used to clean anything and EVERYTHING with petrol(eum) and a paint brush!

Bill.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2004 08:49 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We simply used to have a complete set spare and take home the dirty ones and put them in the dishwasher. Always use the top shelf to protect them from heat and always relubricate the items when refitting them to the shafts. It worked fine with the grey Kinoton rollers.

David Kilderry

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-27-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For most plastics, cleaners/degreasers using D-Limonene (e.g., Simple Green, Mean Green, "Citrus" degreasers, etc.) are usually quite effective in removing any greasy/oily dirt and debris. Most engineering plastics will withstand moderate heat, so the use of the top shelf of a dishwasher can also work well.

Avoid the use of strong solvents (especially acetone), as they can craze and even dissolve some plastics, or leach out plasticizers. Most solvents have some degree of toxicity or flammability as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have the old carbon pile type of control heads I have to wonder if they have the all metal ball bearings in the center as POH's fomr that era usually do.....??? If they do I wouldn't submerge them in anything. Best to just saturate a rag with Formula 409 and wipe them clean. Then apply a drop or two of LaVezzi oil in each bearing and they'll run just fine and will never become gummy. 409 is also an excellent deck cleaner but just don't leave it on anodized surfaces for a long time...spray on and wipe right off makes cleaning these parts effortless.

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like isopropal achohol for cleaning rollers. Wiped on with a rag. If they are really dirty Fantastic works good to get them really clean.

quote:
Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!

Mark is on vacation?? What is a vacation?? [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kris Brunton
Mark is on vacation?? What is a vacation??

I can tell you want vacation is.... Its spending the whole darn day replacing the spare tire release cable in my KIA Sportage. What a KIA! I sould have gone to work... its far less frustrating than anything to do with the KIA.

At least tommrrow I can go up in the mountains and have some fun. Am planning on going to the Rail Museum in ELY, NV. on Wednesday and to the Lehman caves on Thursday... then I plan on hiding out in the Great Basin area where there is no cell phone coverage!!. Its the first vacation I've been able to get away for in two years!

http://nevadanorthernrailway.net/
http://www.nps.gov/grba/cavephotos.htm

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-27-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark, in the process of vacating the state
then I plan on hiding out in the Great Basin area where there is no cell phone coverage!!
Will you be on tape delay then?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-27-2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I think he will be cached til service resumes.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want tape delay.... I'll give you tape delay [Big Grin] !!!

-

Caching would be way too boreing..... [sleep]

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!!

Mike Miller
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Miller   Email Mike Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Citris Cleaner on the rollers and it worked very well. I soaked all the plastic parts in it for an hour, then rinsed off in hot water and wiped clean. Parts with bearings in them were hand cleaned, not soaked. Didn't know that keepers could spin so freely on their cores.

Thanks for all the help!

Mike Miller

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: