Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hail Damage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hail Damage
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to the theater Saturday morning after a storm the night before and my first task was to sweep up all the broken glass off the sidewalk. Hail had torn up the neon on the marquee. Monday I was up on a ladder removing sections of neon to be remade. We're lucky, we have a retired gentlemen who does neon in his garage so we can get the neon back for a fraction of what it might cost.
So, if you run and old theater your duties include, sell tickets, concessions, run projectors and repair marquee.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OR, work for HOYTS.

Bill

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward--

A projectionist belongs in the booth..... not hanging off the
marquee!

fjn
Local 294 Ret

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 07:54 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never was very keen on people who believed certain jobs were 'beneath' them.

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a theatre owner, I'd like to have people like Edward working for me. To often I find people , especially those under 30, just want to come in, do their job, never try to do anything extra, then whine about not getting a raise.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a theater employee, too often I encounter people, especially those disgruntled with being stuck in middle management, who don't recognize people like Edward who go above and beyond their job description, never show their appreciation, and bitch & whine when asked for a raise.

Oh, and then lay you off without telling you so they can hire minimum wage people to take your place.

=TMP=

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 09-22-2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
I never was very keen on people who believed certain jobs were 'beneath' them.
I dont think he was saying that the job was 'beneath' him. Its not his job. There's no job 'beneath' me, but theres no job that I dont do. If hes doing the work of multiple employees, like many of us do, why should he receive the pay of only one employee.

On the subject...I hate hail damage.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading my post I now realize it looks like I was directing my comment at Edward, I'm sorry for that. I was responding to Floyd's post about 'projectionists belong in the booth.'

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be an old-fashioned opinion, but I thought that projectionsts are trained to be just that, Projectionists (SHOWMEN)
If that guy fell off the marquee and busted his neck or got zapped to buggary, I'll bet the Occupational Health and Safety guys would have a field day! And I know of some theatres that would hang him out to dry come investigation time.
That kind of work done by a projectionist, although it's an admirable attitude to take, should be done by the pros who are properly trained and have the gear to do the job safely.

P.S How would you like a neon service bloke running your bio???

Just a thought. [evil]

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot On Ian.OH&S is a impotant part of the cinema bussiness now and the regulations are there to protect all even if they sound harsh.
Believe you worked in Melbourne.

Cheers Steve [beer]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Stephen looks like he could be Phil's brother? Not knowing either of you guys, of course, but there seems to be a remarkable resemblance. [Eek!] [thumbsup] [beer]

Ron Yost

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind working on the marquee. Put some of the replacement neon back today and discovered another letter that was cracked. Then it started raining so for now the marquee still looks kinda pitiful [uhoh]

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen.
Yeah, a Melbourne boy by heart! Started at Essendon DI in '82, then on to Northland DI, East End Twin in Bourke St, Village Theatrette fom '84-96 followed by a stint at Palace Brighton Bay and now the odd stint at MIFF.
Seen too many accidents to be complacent about topics like this thread. Some places take multi-skilling WAY too far.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-25-2004 02:13 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This may be an old-fashioned opinion, but I thought that projectionsts are trained to be just that, Projectionists (SHOWMEN)
... That kind of work done by a projectionist, although it's an admirable attitude to take, should be done by the pros who are properly trained and have the gear to do the job safely.

P.S How would you like a neon service bloke running your bio???

Boy... that sure depends on what side of the fence you're looking at it from...

I remember stories about TV stations where the camera guy couldn't pull a cable... that had to be done by the cable guy. Neither one of them could turn the lights on in a studio... that had to be done by the lighting guy... and none of them could touch a transmitter or studio switching control... there were people to do those jobs, too. A few stations still run that way, I guess. Same for larger market radio, where the announcer just sits behind the mic, and others push the buttons.

As an owner, that kind of mentality would drive me nuts. This year, I rented an 80 foot boom lift... replaced some metal sheets on the back of my drive-in screen, pressure washed the whole thing, ran some 600 screws in to keep the wind from blowing the sheets back off, repaired the flashing on the top (great view up there!) then painted it... both sides.... and I did much of it myself.

I can only imagine the number of people I put out of work on that job! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well of course all employees are supposed to hail the chief when he arrives [Big Grin] !!

MArk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: