Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mr. 3000 Cyan Track.... Got to wonder how many got caught without red (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mr. 3000 Cyan Track.... Got to wonder how many got caught without red
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to wonder how many theatre owners/operators got caught with their pants down tonight with the opening of this film.....? The print here in Jackson, WY. is very cyan and to my ears sounded just fine with no noticable difference between it and the previews that ran before hand.

Mark @ CLACO

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cyan. [Confused]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus was the last to post
Very cyan. [Confused]

It all depends on what wavelength you are on! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It all depends on what wavelength you are on!
Well the air here is definately ALOT cleaner than most places so there are probably more wavelengths of light reaching the ground..... so yes.... It looks very cyan to me... [Cool] .... does it not look very cyan to you [eyes] ?

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were in Jackson Hole the week after Labor Day...dittoes on the clean air. (Not that it's dirty where we live either, but JH has that awesome evergreen addition.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Jackson is ALOT of fun. I like the service trips up there as all the shows start by 4PM so I'm ususally done and out by 3:30 to give them time to get the booth readied. After that time I'm usually out somewhere hiking and or photographing. It got cold for a couple of days but warmed up the last few days I was there... Over the last two weeks there I overhauled EVERY projector in town(yes literally 7) plus installed single blade conversions onto some first generation P35's that are pretty odd inside. I will post a pix if one of its innards later to see if anyone else has any like these... Interestingly the P35's are 11 years old and had most of the original bearings in them.... yes they sounded like cement mixers but now after only 100 plus bearings they just purr right along and one can actually talk to another person whilst standing in the booth again.

Mark @ CLACO

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to ask about this since I received the notice in a can a couple months ago. We have white readers and thus these tracks would be undesireable in our theater so I was wondering if anyone could guesstimate how much replacing these two readers would cost, or if it's something a good projectionist, not technician, could install. Also, is BV the only company doing this or are there others I should ask before booking the film? Thanks!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,
Its not something that you can install your self unless you go with the JAX Light..... which is less desirable in itself. There is not much choice but to convert over to red light of some sort. It will take a technician with the right equipment to properly install a red scanner system.

This is going to be industry wide sooner than you might think. For now you can stay white light if you don't want to play any Disney, or Touchphone filums. Next up to switch over I believe is MGM.

Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, Disney, MGM, and Miramax have announced plans to convert to cyan dye analog tracks, and Ted Costas of Dolby who works closely with distributors expects more to announce by ShowEast in October. More information and links are on the dye tracks website:

http://www.dyetracks.org

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-19-2004 12:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was wondering if anyone could guesstimate how much replacing these two readers would cost, or if it's something a good projectionist, not technician, could install. Also, is BV the only company doing this or are there others I should ask before booking the film? Thanks!
Component Engineering readers ordered from most dealers cost approximately US$500 each. Prices from other dealers or brands may be more or less , YMMV.

As john mentioned, BV, Miramax, MGM and certain DreamWorks titles (Woody Allen) are going all-cyan.

-Aaron

[ 09-20-2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, will look into it and be sure to ask when booking, guess I should have tried to stay more in the "know" while not working at a theater over the past 2 years. [Roll Eyes]

I figured it would be something that would require proper equipment for setup, just thought I'd ask instead of poking around in the sound head trying to figure it out and shut us down. Thanks again!

P.S. John, you know you have some "film done wrong" right there....on your chin. [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Aaron, You're saying that Jack Roe is also acting as a dealer selling theatre equipment? Thats a bit tacky for a manufacturer to be doing IMHO. I wonder how many others are aware of that one.....?

Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-20-2004 12:58 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
So Aaron, You're saying that Jack Roe is also acting as a dealer selling theatre equipment?
Mark, we bought the readers from Dick Niccum at LIT (who does deal in [mostly used] cinema equipment as well as their own new products). The Jack Roe reference was a mistake, I was thinking of something else regarding JRUSA.

Anyways? JR sells Cinemeccanica equipment (I believe they are now the official US distributor for Cinemeccanica), and CIR splicers, and other booth supplies, etc...

be back in a week!

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark that is no different than CPI and Marble Co that manufactured and imported/distributed supplies and equipment and also sold direct (as do any manufacturer to a large circuit)

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Monday morning, after the opening weekend of "Mr.3000", and thus far, we have only one reported problem. I'm awaiting final details, but after speaking with Disney this morning, there was just a single theatre that got the movie that had infra-red readers... yes, infra-red. This is the worst possible scenario, no sound. But, it was the only problem in a 100% cyan release, of a film that was number two at the box office.

How many prints? I don't know the exact amount, but they did title the film, "Mr.3000"... I would think that you'd be safe guestimating that as the total number of prints manufactured for this release, so far.

With one problem reported.

Just one.

That, my good friends, is a home run!

If any of you are aware of any other problems, please let me know.

All the best, Ted

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: