Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weight of a CP65 ?

Author Topic: Weight of a CP65 ?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 06:51 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be purchasing a Dolby CP65 from a European country.....and new to know the weight of the unit to calculate shipping.
Anyone have this information?

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 07:23 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be around 15kg.

C.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'd know the difference, but that processor has several variations... not all of which result in a fully-loaded box... the simplest of which results in not much more than simple "A" processing.

Do you know what your model contains? It would make some difference.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would think that your seller would be able to tell you the weight packed.....
What ever you do be sure to have them bubble wrap and pack all the plug in modules seperately so the unit arrives undamaged. Have seen several become very damaged when they are shipped assembled.

Mark

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are the cards installed in the CP65...
Cat240A
2xCat350
Cat222
Cat150
3xEQ-Cat64B
Cat441
Cat242
Cat443
Cat249
Cat259

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-19-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a day or two and I will borrow a scale and weigh one. Mine has the evil cat. 222 SR/A card instead of the cat. 350s and cat. 222, but it should be close enough.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott...........rather then get a scale........how about you just send me your CP65........then I won't have to check weighing and have it shipped all the way from Europe.

Ha Ha [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Your's is actually the better one and is worth aquiring. The 222SRA card is a piece of crap, the 350's are much prefered for SR playback while the 222 a type is acceptable.

Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark / Scott -

If the 222 SRA is the one to use with the dual 35/70 mm version of the CP65 - with the backplane jumper to be shifted - That'll be my version - Whats that crappy/evil thing about it ? - now, the 70mm is so sadly missed, would it be a better CP65 for 35 only use, if the 222's are pulled...? My CP65 has been playing without trouble since summer 1992, just as the 35only version since 1994 in screen 2, and I've never noticed any difference in sound or stability.

Per

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-20-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. The cat. 222 SR/A has nothing to do with the 70mm version (which has two extra cat. 222 A-type-only cards to decode NR on all six tracks of 70mm). The cat. 222 SR/A has two channels of "real" A-type decoding and two channels of "fake" SR-type decoding. It is apparently cheaper than two cat. 350s and one cat. 222, and many CP-65s (and CP-500s) in the US are equipped in this way. Search for some of Steve Guttag's posts about its crappy SR decoding.

(Still working on borrowing that scale...will probably be another day or so).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original 35mm-only layout (pre-222 SR/A) which later became the known as the CP-65/300 was unnecessarily costly. You had a 222 card for A and two 350's for SR. If you went to 70mm the 350's became 300's (1 channel each, A or SR).

A more logical approach would have been to simply equip 35mm-only boxes with the two Cat.300's providing 2 channels of NR that can switch between A and SR. Only add the 222 card for 70mm boxes that needed 4 channels of A. (Why they didn't think 70mm would quickly move to SR is another discussion. Why blow twenty grand plus on a print and not use the best NR?) I'm told by a Dolby source that the reason was internal politics regarding the folks who made 222 cards. Of course that is only gossip.

BTW, I know of a 70mm 6-track discrete SR engagement that was played with a CP500 and 3 222 SR/A cards. I didn't hear it so cannot comment.

Now then, do you suppose the 65 could be carried by several African swallows with some string?

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the commom weight of the CP65....23 lbs.
Thanks to all

Paul--

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-21-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
I'm told by a Dolby source that the reason was internal politics regarding the folks who made 222 cards. Of course that is only gossip.

I have been told by at least several Dolbly sources in the past that there has been quite a bit of rivalery between the Brit end of Dolby and the U.S. division from time to time.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-22-2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If so it probably cost every purchaser several hundred dollars extra.

"Dolbly"

Not a typo, folks. That's what Mark calls'em. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Thats not what I call them but its what they should be called.....
Actually an aquaintance of Steve and I has a slight speech defect and thats how it comes out when he pronounces it. I just put it that way here to see if Steve would catch it....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: