Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Recommend Multi-coax for RGB

Author Topic: Recommend Multi-coax for RGB
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to run component video from the video switcher to the Eiki "Theatre" video projector. Can anyone recommend a multi-coax for this or does one just run three singles and hope you cut them to the EXACT same length? Brand and product number if you have it.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-17-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, are you running JUST component? If you are running say component, composite and maybe "S" then use a 6 conductor coax to carry all three.

In order to not stock tons of cables, we generally will make 5-wire (RGBHV) double for Component and composite in one bundle rather than have a component specific cable

How far are you running your signals? This will have a great affect on what size cable will be suitable, without a line amplifier of some sort.

Do NOT try to just cut all three pieces of coax to length.

However, from Belden, there is 7794A which is three RG-59 cables. For Mini-coax, Belden has 1164B. If you want very little loss...there is RG-6 bundled...7710A.

We offer Extron products too with bundling and cable type variances but none are just 3 piece of coax...Extron starts with 1 then jumps to 4, 5 and 6.

Other considerations...is this going to be permanent or temporary? For permanent installations, solid center core coax is preferred (RG-6)...for temporary intallations, you want a "Rental/staging" type cable that will be more flexible and not likely to break internally.

So in short...I need more specifics.

Steve

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No only cut the three cables to the same length (they should be with in a few inches), but use the same type of cable. Different types of 75 ohm coax have different propagation factors, usually either 66% or 77% of the speed of light. Solid dielectric is usually 66%, foam is usually 77%.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-19-2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Steve, the installation is permanent. Distance from the rack to the vidprojector is aprox 30 feet as the crow flys, probably 50 ft max after wire troughs and dressing. And no, I won't try cutting individual lengths. All I needed was the Belden numbers for the multi's (thanks). And yes, we will probably feed mulitple formats, although I really want them to get a switcher with a scaler so everything goes out RGB to the Eiki. But as this may not happen or may not happen soon, just to cover any eventuality, I would want more than just a single RGB multi; in fact I never run the minimum -- I always want redundencey on long runs and especially between rooms or buildings. The labor in pulling cable is what's expensive, not the cable, so pulling two or three is just as easy and barely more expensive as pulling one. Then when the rats eat through one, you've got a spare. And yes, I will go with solid conductor.

How many conductors do you need for SVid? Two?

If you have any literature on Extron switchers and scalers or a switchers/scaler combo, I'd be happy to give it to their AV guy. Let me know if the museum can purchase directly from your company.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-19-2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, SVid(eo) is two signals--luma (Y) and chroma (C). So two paths will be needed.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be carefull using a scaler. They can add artifacts, and some delay to your video. Most LCD type projectors will then re-scale the incoming video to match the LCD's pixel count, adding more artifacts, and more delay. You could end up with a lip sync problem. The less electronics you put in your signal chain, the better off you will be, especially anything that makes major changes, such as a scaler.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2004 07:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to scalers...they are a tool and depending on the quality of them, a very good tool! Rather than creating artifacts they can eliminate them.

For instance, if your projector has an XGA resolution, then it is imperitive to have scaler that actually outputs XGA (1024 x 768) so the projector does NOT rescale because Bruce brings up valid points...the more you muck with the signal, the more you are likely to muck it up (stands to reason).

What a scaler brings to the table is to have single point switching since all sources will be brought to the projector's resolution without it having to resync and without having to switch the source and the projector. Furthermore, the scalers built in to projectors vary in quality...though I see them doing better all of the time.

As for Extron's scalers...they have the DVS 204, DVS 406, ISS 108/408 (it is dual seamless switcher with preview and program outputs) and the ISM 108/408. There are other scalers under the Extron badge but those are the bulk of them...the USP 405 is a transcaler and probably not what you are looking for and the System 7SC is a great little piece but it does NOT have aspect ratio control, which is fine until you get into a widescreen (16:9) projector someday.

All of these products can be found at http://www.extron.com. There is a shortcut pull-down menu to quickly get to any of the products

Yes, your facility can indeed purchase Extron products directly from us (including cables). We even stock some stuff.

With just a 50-foot run, you can run almost anything and not suffer too much in the signal quality up to XGA. You are between 3 and 6 dB down with a mini-coax and less than 3dB with RG-59. If cable diameter isn't an issue then I would use RG-59 or RG-6. Mind you, if you use RG-6 it is going to be a fat cable, especailly if it is a 5 or 6 cable. With the 6 cable, you have RGBHV + Composite or Component + S + composite all in one cable. You have pretty much future proofed and past proofed yourself. Also note, if you end up going to one of the digital video transmissions like HDSDI, then RG-6 will be the better choice. With DVI having a 15-foot limit, I wouldn't think about that option.

Steve

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2004 04:15 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure that Liberty Cables have a lot accessible. They have 5core Coax and even 6 core. You can run RGB + Horizontal Vertical and Composite with just ONE cable (quite thick though)
You could try asking for the "RGB6C/22-2P".
D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: