Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Plastic Film Cores - Aus Supplier? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm Plastic Film Cores - Aus Supplier?
Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any place that's able to supply 35mm plastic film cores (bobbins) in Australia. We're after the small ones (2 inch diameter).

Cheers for any info! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
How many do you need? You could buy them, but a 35mm lab would probably have about a million of them and may just tell you to come and get 'em. Back "in the days", that's where I got mine.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 07:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,

Try UIP Despatch services.Sometimes Trls come on them also film ads thats where I got most of mine from now have a draw full.Are you at Vic Gardens cinemas in Richmond ?

Cheers,
Stephen [thumbsup]

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew,

You should be able to get them from Cinevex film lab in Gordon Street, Elsternwick, or direct from the manufacturer Tuscan Industries in Redfern, N.S.W. The blue Tuscan bobbins are suitable for long term archival storage. If there's no money, maybe a post-production house would be a good place to ask.

Good hunting!

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. Are your Australian cores (bobbins) somehow different from our U.S.-made ones??

What got my attention was the line about some of them being suitable for long-term archive use. What is it about them that makes them more suitable? Are they just larger in diameter, like the 4" cores we/I use for long-term storage. Or, is it something else about them??

If there's a significant difference, could a picture of them be posted here, maybe??

Thanks a lot!! [Smile]
Ron Yost

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the USA, Kodak FPC Hollywood sells them:

http://www.fpchollywood.com/cores-3--cores.html

http://www.fpchollywood.com/3987.html

quote:
Clean, durable and precise, Kodak cores are in demand throughout the Motion Picture Industry

3" Plastic Cores
Product Code: Specifications: Sales Unit: Price:
3987 35mm, Type Y Each $0.53

The cores made by Kodak have to be made of inert plastic, or they would affect the unprocessed film. So they are suitable for long term keeping.

As noted, since many labs now ship prints on 4-inch cores, the 3-inch cores the raw stock comes on may be available as surplus.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 02:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are available from Kodak in Australia too, that is where I used to buy them from.

David Kilderry

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2004 02:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

What is the difference between FPC Type K cores and Type Y cores? They appear to be the same.

Also, as much as Kodak loves to support saving the environment (read cyan tracks), why does Kodak not ship their raw stock on the standard 4 inch cores that are used in general distribution? That way there aren't a ton of 3 inch cores being thrown away and killing our planet. Those 4 inch cores could be used on the output end of the processing machines and put into regular circulation. It only makes sense.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2004 07:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4-inch lab cores are a relatively recent development. I'll certainly run the idea past the manufacturing folks. I would suspect the exchanges recycle the 4-inch cores back to the labs for use with new prints.

Most cores are recycled, but "used" cores cannot be used for raw stock because of the risk of contamination affecting the photographic properties.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, but in your pitch to Kodak you might want to throw in the part about how the depots are having to toss the cores with only 1 drive pin hole in them since they don't fit the later model clip-together reels. [Smile]

Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew,
I dont know if you have access to Jack Roe cinema supplies in Australia as they stock all sizes of film bobbins.
http://www.jack-roe.demon.co.uk/frameset.html?submenu=
Neil.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew Shingleton
We're after the small ones (2 inch diameter).

no! 2" cores are garbage! [puke]
The 3" should be the smallest you use, anything less is going to put a horrible curl in your film.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here here. 4" is ideal, 3" OK for reels of 1,000 feet or less.

My gut feeling would be to try and find a lab or facilities house which throws them out regularly; you can buy them from suppliers such as Jack Roe but they're not cheap if you get through any significant quantity.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-20-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Makes sense, but in your pitch to Kodak you might want to throw in the part about how the depots are having to toss the cores with only 1 drive pin hole in them since they don't fit the later model clip-together reels.

Thanks for reminding me of an issue that makes the 4-inch cores unlikly to be used for raw stock. The drive pin holes tend to weaken the structural strength of the core in resisting "crushed cores" of large rolls during shipping. When a 4000-foot or 6000-foot roll is accidently dropped or hit on its side during shipping, the forces are concentrated on the core, and can actually "crush" the core, or change its center hole enough so it will not fit on the 1-inch unwind spindle on the printer. Kodak actually had to strenthen the 3-inch cores with thicker ribs, which is why there is a "Y" core and a "K" core. Adding holes for the drive pins can weaken the core and make it more susceptable to being "crushed".

Ian Joseph Parfrey
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Ian Joseph Parfrey   Email Ian Joseph Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be able to pick up a batch directly from the exchanges during a junking. [Eek!]
Failing that try the labs as suggested by Phil Grace.
For strength, I'd probably suggest either the Fuji or Agfa raw stock cores. They seem to be much stronger through the ribs and bore than the Kodak ones.

Brad mentions a pitch to Kodak about bore size and laments the exchanges having to ditch cores with 1" drives. The great thing about the 35mm format is the standardisations in place. If the split reel manufacturers can't stick to the standards then maybe it's the reels that need to be chucked.

And it makes heaps of sense to use 4" cores through out the entire film chain as Brad suggests. Great idea. Taking up on cores is fun! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: