Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp Exhaust...

Author Topic: Lamp Exhaust...
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any problem or danger just exhasting the lamphouse into the common air..........I'm presantly using my car garage to show 35mm films.
The lamphouse is a ORC 1000 with a 750 or 1,000 watt bulb.

Paul--

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 09-16-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With bulbs that small, no. The only problem you'll have is heat build up. I run a 500W bulb in my 'screening room', and aside from the booth getting a bit warm, no ill effects as of yet.

Josh

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 09:35 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a couple dozen times I had the "pleasure" (?) of operating a changeover pair of Centuries lit by unvented ORC 1000s in a booth with about the same square footage as a small bedroom and with very little forced air ventilation (when the air handler was running). With both lamphouses on (you know, to avoid zapping forty minutes or so of lamp lifetime away with each reel [Smile] ), it got pretty toasty in that booth. No headaches, though.

Paul, as this vintage thread and other postings on F-T attest, the model number is misleading and does not suggest the lamphouse can take a 1kW lamp. The ORC 1000s could only take a 700w lamp, max. The 1000 was capable of producing the same amount of light as a 1kW vertical lamphouse common at the time that "baby" ORC was designed.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 01:25 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only issue will be heat buildup in the area around the projector. My 500W keeps the 'booth' quite toasty because it vents into the area... one of these days i'm gonna get some heavy duty dryer hose and send the heat outside... tho it is kinda nice in the winter. [Smile]

--Chris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only issue you could run into, and its a very slim chance, is if you happened to get a VERY old lamp with your model 1000. If so there's a slim chance you could have gotten a lamp that is not ozone free as all new lamps are today. So if you do get a headache then you have a good indication that its not an ozone free lamp.... Just thought I'd mention this.

Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-17-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you smell any hint of ozone, it's best to get it vented outside. [Eek!]

http://www.vngas.com/pdf/g242.pdf

http://www.ozoneapplications.com/info/ozone_msds.htm

quote:
Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------
Inhalation: Causes dryness of the mouth, coughing, and irritates the nose, throat, and chest. May cause difficulty in breathing, headache, and fatigue. The characteristic sharp, irritating odor is readily detectable at low concentrations (0.01 to 0.05 ppm).

Toxicological Information
Ozone is extremely irritating to the upper and lower respiratory tract. The characteristic odor is readily detectable at low concentrations ( 0.02 ppm to 0.05 ppm). Ozone produces local irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes and may cause pulmonary edema at high exposure. Systematically, ozone has been reported to mimic the effects of ionizing radiation, and may cause damage to chromosomal structures. A partial tolerance appears to develop with repeated exposures. Although most effects are acute, the possibility of chronic lung impairment should be considered, based upon animal experimentation

Exposure Guidelines:
OSHA PEL: 0.10-ppm PEL/TLV

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: