Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex alignment problem

Author Topic: Simplex alignment problem
Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stumped! I went into a booth today to "line up the projector with the screen". With RP40 running, the sprocket holes were showing on the right side of the screen and the .825" line was not visible on the left. This happens with flat lens and scope lens both with and without apertures. I tried various settings of the lateral guide roller and was able to improve things slightly but not completely. I spoke to Rick Saltz at he Strong factory and he had no answer. He said the inside of the outboard (guide) flange should align with the face of the feed sprocket which I did. The problem remains. The projector is a Simplex XL with curved gate installed in 1960. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 04:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get the floor waxed recently? Sound like the hole pedestal/lamphouse/projector is off.

Or... do you have left-right adjustable tables? Someone might have adjusted that to 'correct' a dark side of the screen, instead of adjusting the mirror.

edit: I totally misread the post, ignore these useless suggestions

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the film is reversed.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl's floor waxing thing is a definite possibility, however, no matter how far out of kilter the projector got the sprockets should still be blocked by the apeture plate. Sounds like a gate alignment issue.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally misread Bob's post. Disregard what I said before. So as long as the sprockets are showing up where they should, it's not likey that the whole setup is off alignment.

Is there something preventing the gate assembly from going all the way into the machine (laterally).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty wierd one considering that the bands on the X-L pretty much cover the perfs in the first place. Double and triple check everything on this one VERY carefully to be sure that the open close mechanism is seated all the way on the main frame and that the trap is seated all the way onto the open-close mechanism. It would be obvious if the trap were misaligned even slightly with the film path but if the open-close mechanism were off a tad that might not be as obvious since the gate would drop into the trap as normal. Since the curved trap uses the edge of the trap casting as a stop for the aperature plate I doubt that the plate is off alignment but be sure that it is seating IN all the way and there is no gunk in there.

Mark @ CLACO

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a horizontal lens shift lever on your machine?

I've got an old PR-1003. Right above the lens is a lever which shifts the lens from side to side, thus causing the image to shift.

I believe it is there for running mag prints with no optical soundtrack. I'm not really sure. That's just what I was told many moons ago.

Anyhow, since there's virtually nobody who uses that lens shifter anymore, it's possible that your projector was set up with the lever in one position but, for some reason that lever has been moved.

This has happened to me a couple times until I locked that puppy down tight.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 09:27 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then why would the sprockets show?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-16-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The intermittent sprocket is out of alignment, and the lateral guides were aligned to it... making the whole thing off.

That's my guess.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: