Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sky Captian "Special Sticker"

Author Topic: Sky Captian "Special Sticker"
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our copy of Sky Captian has a orange sticker on it that says special, does this mean any thing special?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's b/c you are special....and you have to believe that, b/c everyone is special...

no really, it's been talked about (you can search for it, it was in mid-july) and no one really noticed anything special but low print #s

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're not suposed to have food in the print assembly area. Somebody was just getting rid of the sticker off of their sandwhich.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you got Brad's print. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2004 06:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check and see if it's Filmguarded and in pristine condition! [Smile]

I've gotten prints from Steve Kraus before, but they had his own stickers (and they didn't say "SPECIAL" on them).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess even being in the opening of Ebert's show doesn't make you special.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I confess. It was me. I hate 'special sauce', so I have a daily supply of 'special' stickers. Guess I missed the roundfile. Sowwy. [uhoh] [Big Grin]

Ron Yost .. AKA "Inspector Shirley"

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
It means the print didn't cry when the doctor had to give it a shot, so it got a sticker for being brave.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..."Special" sounds familiar so I'm gonna guess I had such stickers on my Sky Captain prints as well. No clue what it meant.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them too....maybe they are trying as hard as they can to tell people that the movie is worth seeing?

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 10:53 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think someone was playing a joke or something because every other reel was Head first...ie.Reel 1-H, Reel2-T, Reel3-H, etc

Also some of the reels was taped on to the core of the reel while some was in the slot.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2004 09:42 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In talking to my film courier for ETS they refer to a run outside of their normal routine as a "special" and since they charge extra for these runs my guess is they use the sticker to signify an increase in the shipment charge for this purpose. Only a guess because I couldn't think of anything on the same level of funny as what's above. [Big Grin]

My print was also heads and tails everyother reel, and often wonder WHY this is. Just because it is so bothersome to flip every other reel. At least if they were all tails I could build up onto a 6,000 foot reel and throw those reels onto the platters. At least I had a fresh print, been so many weeks with mangled sloppy prints I thought I would never survive.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-18-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mix of heads and tails orientations usually means the lab used bi-directional contact printers rather than unidirectional "loop" type printers. Or some reels were chosen for full inspection projection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: