Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Happy Birthday CinemaScope (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Birthday CinemaScope
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CinemaScope is 51 years old today. The Robe premiered on Sept 16, 1953 in New York City, and the world just seemed to get wider...

/Mitchell

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 10:14 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
between this and no school b/c we were supposed to get a tropcial storm b/c of Ivan.....it's time to party [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2004 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mr. Moderator man.....shouldn't this be in yakity yack?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-16-2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
51 years of brighter more detailed images.
More than half a century of seeing the whole frame.

[beer]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to full frame silent, or 1.33, 1.66, etc.?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-16-2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl wins.

Thats what happens when I post 30 seconds after waking up. [sleep]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Daryl 1 - World 5,323,654,214,342

Sleeping past 9am, must be nice!

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 51st CINEMASCOPE

Thank god WALL-TO-WALL cinemas have not killed it.
You know, those places that use top/bottom masking CLOSING in to go to 'scope' Oh great you watch the ads/trls in w/s, then the feature STAR WARS starts, and the picture shrinks by a 3rd.

Twits.

C/S might just hang in there as the 16:9 DVD (and [WS] TV) helps, keep the format alive.

There is nothing more I love, than when that last trailer finishes, screen blackout (as the turret is turning), then the FOX logo hits (with increased volume), and the masking slowing rolling out to 2:35.1. Oh what a feeling.

Bill.

DEAN: Take care from that storm. Been hearing about it for a few days.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God loves all formats equally. I'm glad there's a choice.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - I hate the wall-to-wall thing too, with the bigger flat image, but fortunately, the situation you describe rarely happens in US cinemas - the ads and previews are usually available in both flat and scope, so you don't have to change the format after the previews.
We had the same situation you have in Germany, where all the rolling stock and most of the previews come in flat, then we would also change lenses and move the masking. Since all of our cinemas had side masking, the "scope" effect would always happen, I liked that.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was a lot better as "Tohoscope," but then the popcorn always needed wasabi to go down well.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-16-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen a lot of "Tohoscope" pictures in the theatre?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-16-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
As opposed to full frame silent, or 1.33, 1.66, etc.?

quote: Mike Olpin
Daryl wins.

No, Mike, you win. None of those were "full frame"... leastwise 1.66:1!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 10:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I almost agree with you about going into the feature, but I prefer a change-over than a turret change.

John

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, last I checked the standard silent aperture (in use from about 1899 to the late 20's) used the full frame.

As for 1.33, and 1.66, I must have been thinking brighter than flat 1.85:1. Gee I've been awfully dumb this week! Sunday couldn't come soon enough, I need sleep.

Odd that it took over 10 hours for someone to call me on it though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: