Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eeprom CP500

Author Topic: Eeprom CP500
Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to rewrite a cat. 684 board eprom when you have any problem in upgrading software version? I had a black out when upgrading (not so lucky, isn't it?), I installed a new eprom, but I must throw away the old one?

When did Dolby begin to install 2MB eprom, and which was the problem with the 1MB ones?

Thanks in advance
Ciao
Nando

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason why an EEPROM burner couldn't copy good data off of another 1MB chip to your corrupt 1MB chip.

What was the problem with the 1MB chips? Well, they were 1MB smaller than the 2MB chips. That and the cost difference between the two is nearly non-existent these days.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not eprom but eeprom...
yes, very easy to do if you've got a dump or another cat 684 to copy it.
i made it several times...

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another 684? connecting the two CP500? what do I need? where can I find anything - everything - about it?

Tomorrow I'll try with a Eeprom burner, I have the .bin files to store in, but I'm intested in procedure Fabrice talks about.

Sorry, I know those are eeprom, you can see it on the title of the topic, but in italian a word with two "e" is strange to write.

Ciao
Nando

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EEPROM isn't a word. It's short for electrically erasable programmable read-only memory.

EPROMs are erasable programmable read-only memory, which are erased when exposed to UV light.

In any case, I'm sure Fabrice meant that you could use the EEPROM from another Cat 684 (with a 1MB chip) to make the copy from using the EEPROM burner. Which is the cheapest way to go, simple EEPROM copiers can be had for about $15 from any good electronics supplier.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're right Daryl.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 05:27 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found old eeproms and burned (electrically, of course).
Everything is OK; they are 29C020 (2MB) or 29C010 (1MB), from Amtel.

I know they are often used for BIOS in PC, but I have a lot of problems in buying them in Italy. Do you know if there are any equivalent flash to program and to keep as spare?

Thanks
Nando

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: