Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » high exciter lamp voltage

Author Topic: high exciter lamp voltage
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read in the archives where it's generally recommended to run DC exciter current a little below the rated voltage of the standard 9V/4A or 10V/5A exciter lamps. OK, here's my problem. The ancient 9V voltage transformer that was running my exciter lamp burned out yesterday and the only thing I could find locally with enough amps is a 13 volt, 10 amp DC power supply.

I hooked it up to a 10V/5A lamp and aside from burning a little brighter and hotter I can't see any major problem yet. With a slight EQ adjustment the sound still is clear and nice.

I'm also not terribly worried about shortening the life of the bulb a little since I'm obviously going to be forced to buy some of those red doo-dads next year anyway. But I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be worried about. Is my exciter lamp going to explode or anything (LOL)?

Ed

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-15-2004 08:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ed, You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good used exciter supply for next to nothing or even for free.... since the advent of Steve Guttags [uhoh] favorite RED LED reader kits there are now tens of thousands of exciter supplys floating around helplessly in booths all across the country that will never be put to use again.
What you do want is a DC regulated supply. Run the lamp at about 80% of rated voltage. When funds allow get ONE OF Guttags [uhoh] favorite RED LED reverse scan kits and benefit from a huge improvement in sound quality.

Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-15-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can estimate the change in rated life of a tungsten lamp operated at something other than its rated voltage:

http://www.eaoswitch.com/about/lamps.htm

http://vsg.cape.com/~pbaum/halogen.htm

quote:
Rule of Thumb: a +5% increase in voltage results in

50% decrease in lamp life
15% increase in luminous flux
8% increase in power
3% increase in current
2% increase in color temperature

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: