Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Sound upgrade

Author Topic: DTS Sound upgrade
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 04:01 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading every post in this forum on sound systems,DTS,DD,etc etc I'm just about to take the plunge and buy two new DTS-6D units and two Panastereo CSP1200 units.At the moment I don't have the cash to get the X-10's or upgrade the speakers.
What I need to know is:
*Does the DTS-6D have better drives in it than the crap they where putting out originally.
* Do you get a choice in where you place the DTS timecode reader and where is the best spot for it -above or below the projector?
This is to fit onto a SIMPLEX 1050 projector with either a AW3 platter or a discontinued SPECO platter.
*Currently the only tweeter I have in the auditoriums that this equipment will be used in is a large horn tweeter on the centre channel.Would adding tweeters to the front left and right speakers and the surrounds be helpfull to utilise the dynamic range of the new sound systems.(We are replacing very old Ultra -Stereo processors) Is it the norm to use horn-loaded Piezo tweeters in the surrounds or could high power soft dome tweeters be used(which I feel have a much smoother and easier to listen to sound).
Any help would be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 10:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"After reading every post in this forum on sound systems,DTS,DD,etc etc I'm just about to take the plunge and buy two new DTS-6D units and two Panastereo CSP1200 units.At the moment I don't have the cash to get the X-10's or upgrade the speakers."

The pair is about the best thing there is for digital playback today, the CSP-1200 is the best cinema processor made today, period!

Yea, absolutely. They are using teac cdr drives in the 6D so far as I know. In fact the entire unit is drastically changed inside including a new mommie board and DSP D to A decoder sections. It would pay in the long run too beg borrow or steal the extra cash to get the XD-10!!
Sorry, only before the aperature in the projector, ya can't go after it.
"*Currently the only tweeter I have in the auditoriums that this equipment will be used in is a large horn tweeter on the centre channel.Would adding tweeters to the front left and right speakers and the surrounds be helpfull to utilise the dynamic range of the new sound systems."
"(We are replacing very old Ultra -Stereo processors) Is it the norm to use horn-loaded Piezo tweeters in the surrounds or could high power soft dome tweeters be used(which I feel have a much smoother and easier to listen to sound)."
High powered soft domes such as Peerless are much better sounding and provide much better coverage than hahrsh sound piezo's do. Piezo's also have a tendency to beam at higher frequencies. Soft domes are not expensive. I use Peerless drivers when I rebuild Peavey surrounds and they preform far better then when they were new.

Mark @ CLACO

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-13-2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll send you a loonie if you use the quote button or just type the quote tags Mark. Really, it's not that hard, honest!

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, maybe pricing is considerably different "down under" than here in the US, but I just bought a new XD-10 in July and only paid $300 more for it than what I would of paid for a 6D. It was a no brainer. Nice piece of equipment.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad
The X-10 costs about $2000AUS each more down here compared to the 6D but I will recheck that this week from the people I got quotes from.
Thanks Mark for your comments.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would find it hard to believe they cost that much more down under. Aside from checking with your normal dealer you might want to check with at least one more before you decide who is telling the truth.... or not.

Daryl, will attempt the quote thingy next time but.... Danger Will Robinson......

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2004 07:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One deal, I believe exclusive to the US is the SMART CSP1200/DTS-6D and the CSP1200/XD10. Those deals are fabulous.

Steve

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,

Mark is right shop around you find a better price wouldnt hurt.

Steve

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 04:49 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently in Australia there is only 2 or 3 XD-10's in service with a heap of 6D's happily spinning along.
Mark: I'm getting a couple more quotes this week.I spoke to one other dealer today and they want $1000AUS more for the XD-10.So the difference is starting to drop.Maybe they are reading this post.
Steve:I'm aware of the deal Smart is offering and I'm pushing to get an equivalent deal except the Australian Peso has been dropping a bit lately which adds a bit to the cost.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. guys. I've read all of the post about DTS6D upgrades. I have just inherited a DTS6D with Toshiba drives (1997). Someone please tell me EXACTLY which drives to purchase and what upgrades I need to bring everything up to date. Would I be able to find the Teac drives, say here in Atlanta? Is the upgrade in the time code reader or in the DTS6D or both? I'm "slightly" confused.
[uhoh]

Thanks....
Don

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do anything unless the player is dropping out of digital. Assuming you bought it in "working condition", since you are using it in a private screening room, the odds are those Toshiba drives will last eeons at the rate you will use it. There is no sound difference. Save your money.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad..........
Drawer #1 will not stay closed. #2 will not open. #3 seems to work correctly. Suggestions?

Don

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you need the upgrade kit from dts then...assuming that the third drawer DOES work and you can play 1/2 of a movie or a "single disc" movie off of that drive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS Upgrade kit is the only way to go and who knows how long that'll remain available before they are forced to do a major revision just to be able to do an upgrade at all.... if it were mine I'd buy it and be able to sleep at night, its not that expensive vs the cost of a new 6D! The new TEAC higher speed 32X plus read drives output must be declocked to a rate that the computer can deal with, I believe 8X maximum. You will probably also need the Time Code firmware upgrade that is included with the kit. All on all it would be hard to beat the price of the kit when you take into account all the stuff that it comes with.

Mark @ CLACO
Live On Vacation!! (via tape delay [uhoh] )

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a DTS-6D for sale on eBay at half the price of a new one. [Smile]

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: