Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motiograph Chain Drive

Author Topic: Motiograph Chain Drive
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys-

I'm nearing the end of my rebuilding of my projector and was wondering if someone can help me. Can anyone post a picture of how the chain drive is ran on the back of the machine? I'd really appreciate. I have it ran one way now, but I'm just not positive it it is right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cody,
It depen ds on how much it is stretched weather you run it on top or behind the idler roller.... what ever works for you is good.

Mark

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark-

Thanks for the reply. Another question now. What/where is the idler roller? I messed with it today, and I have it running over the sound drum shaft. Is this it? Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this subject, but we all start somewhere.

Thanks again, I've always appreciated the helpfulness of film-tech.

Thanks,
Cody

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't run it around the sound drum shaft. You should have a black phenolic roller mounted on a bracket that secures to the drive side of the sound head. This idler is adjusted to take up the belt slack. If the belt is drastically stretched then you may have to run the belt around the outside of the idler instead of having the idler tensioning the outside of the chain. I don't t hink its shown in the manual for the projector but it is shown in the sound head manual. Look for the drawing showing the drive side of the sound head.
My first home machines were Motiographs and I was also missing the Idler. A trip to Ringold in grand rapids got me a pair of bases and idlers at the time....just over two decades ago! Geez, I feel ancient!

Mark

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark-

Thanks again. I found the idler, but sadly I don't have the phenolic roller, so maybe I'll get lucky and one somewhere soon. At least I do have part of the idler...

Cody

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Vince tommrrow at our office number below. We have a ton of Motio stuff laying around. Best to get an entire idler so you're not missing any of the parts. 801-355-1250 I'll let him know you're going to call.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: